Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »


A certificate is the final stage of developing a water right. A certificate is required before a water right holder can change or "transfer" the character of use, point of diversion or place of use of the water.

A certificate is issued following the review of a Claims of Beneficial Use and the Department determining that the water use authorized under a permit has been completed under the terms and conditions of the permit. In the case of a transfer, a certificate is reissued upon a determination that the authorized changes have been completed.

Forms are available to update the ownership of lands under a certificate, voluntarily cancel or diminish an existing certificate (in part or in whole), abandon a groundwater certificate of registration (in part or in whole), or assert non-use of a water right.

For more information contact:

Gerry Clark 503-979-9103