Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Permit Amendments

A water use permit holder with a non-expired permit completion date may apply to amend a permit by changing the place of use, changing the location of an authorized point of diversion or appropriation (well), or by adding a point of diversion or appropriation. Under certain limited circumstances, permit holders may also change a surface water point of diversion to a nearby groundwater source.  The other terms and conditions in the permit cannot be changed. The application is similar to a Permanent Transfer application except the required map does not have to be prepared by a certified water right examiner.

In reviewing an application for a permit amendment, the Department is responsible for ensuring that the permit itself will not be enlarged and that other water right holders will not be injured as a result of the proposed change.