Do you want to be a racing commissioner?
We have openings on our board. If you have an interest in improving and supporting horseracing in Oregon, we’d like to hear from you. The commission’s five-member governing board is appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate. Terms are four years.
• Be willing to attend approximately 10 meetings each year, on the third Thursday of the month, as well as one committee meeting, usually held the morning of the commission meeting. Meetings typically run about an hour.
• Be willing to serve, at the discretion of the chair, on one of three standing committees: Budget, Medication and Horse Welfare, ADW (Advance Deposit Wagering).
• Be enthusiastic about racing at fair meets and the community benefits these meets bring to rural Oregon: Eastern Oregon Livestock Show in Union, Southern Oregon Horse Racing Association in Grants Pass, Crooked River Roundup in Prineville, Tillamook County Fair in Tillamook, and the Harney County Fair in Burns (currently in abeyance).
• Be committed to the horse breeding industry in Oregon.
• Be interested in online wagering and off-track betting overseen by the commission.
• Want to help find a path forward for a commercial race meet to run 35-50 days a year, most likely in in Grants Pass.