Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board
|The Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board is a 20-member advisory group and includes 10 citizen members, six state legislators, and representatives from the Governor's Office, the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, and two state agencies. |
The Board provides input to the United States Department of Energy (USDOE) and its regulators on the Hanford cleanup.
The Board and its staff at the Oregon Department of Energy (ODOE) also:
Oregon's primary role at Hanford is to ensure that cleanup decisions are protective of the Columbia River.
- keep key cleanup issues visible;
- hold the USDOE and its contractors accountable;
- bring Hanford issues to the public; and
- convey that the cleanup is a regional issue and that Oregon has a stake in the outcome.
|The Board and its Work|
The Oregon Legislative Assembly set out three purposes of the Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board when it created the Board in 1987:
- To serve as the focal point for all policy discussions within the state government concerning the disposal of high-level radioactive waste in the northwest region;
- To recommend a state policy to the Governor and the Legislative Assembly; and
- To make policy recommendations, after consultation with the Governor, on other issues related to the Hanford Site in Richland, Wash. (map courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Energy), including defense wastes, disposal and treatment of chemical waste, and plutonium production.
The Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board meets at locations throughout Oregon. Its meetings are open to the public and the public is encouraged to attend and participate. At the meetings, representatives of the U.S. Department of Energy, contractors, Washington Department of Ecology, Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board staff, and other state and federal agency representatives brief the Board about a wide variety of issues associated with the Hanford Site.
Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board (OHCB) Information:
River Without Waste
Recommendations for Protecting the Columbia River from Hanford Site Nuclear Waste
Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board meetings are open to the public.
Next Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board Meeting:
January 23-24, 2017
Hampton Inn & Suites
1 Nichols Parkway
Hood River, OR
Need More Information?
For more information about the Oregon Hanford Cleanup Board, contact:
Oregon Department of Energy
625 Marion Street NE
Salem, OR 97301-3737
Phone: 1-800-221-8035 (in Oregon) or 503-378-4906