Water Quality Permits

On Dec. 15, 2015 DEQ reissued Oregon's general 1200-C and 1200-CN permits for the discharge of stormwater associated with construction activities.

Supporting documents for the modified permits

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) 1200-C, 1200-CN and 1200-CA general permits apply to construction activities including clearing, grading, excavation, materials or equipment staging and stockpiling that will disturb one or more acres of land. They also apply to construction activities that will disturb less than one acre that are part of a common plan of development or sale, if the larger common plan of development or sale will ultimately disturb one acre or more. In addition, DEQ may require registration for any other construction activity based on the potential for contribution to an excursion of a water quality standard or potential for significant contribution of pollutants to waters of the state.


1200-C Construction Stormwater General Permit

Effective Dec. 15, 2015 through Dec. 14, 2020     

Sites less than one acre: 1200-C Stormwater Discharge Permit applications
  • Fact Sheet: Small Lot 1200-C Permit Coverage
    This explains when a permit is required for construction projects that disturb less than one acre, and outlines how to obtain a permit.

A 1200-C permit is required for a construction site less than one acre, if it is part of a “common plan of development or sale” disturbing one or more acres. Examples of a large common development or sale include a subdivision, a business park, or industrial park. Individual builders, business owners and home owners must apply for the 1200-C if their construction is within a larger project.

However, small-lot construction sites within specific local government agencies’ jurisdictions will be managed through local codes and automatically covered under a NPDES 1200-CN Permit, not through the DEQ-administered 1200-C permit. See 1200-CN coverage below to determine if your project is within an eligible jurisdiction.

The DEQ Small Lot Construction Manual includes a template for the required Erosion and Sediment Control Plan. In almost all cases, this template can be used instead of developing a site-specific plan. A location map and site sketch are used to provide necessary site-specific details. Please see the manual for further details.

Sites one acre or more: 1200-C Stormwater Discharge Permit applications Forms Technical assistance


Public Notice of NPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit 1200-C Permit Applications
Lists 1200-C applications for projects that disturb 5 acres or more of land and are currently in the 14-day (10 business days) public review period. Includes locations for reviewing documents and information on where to send comments.


1200-CN Construction Stormwater General Permit

In some local jurisdictions with eligible stormwater programs, qualifying construction activities that disturb less than five acres will be automatically covered under the 1200-CN permit when they receive the local construction permit. In a few jurisdictions, construction activities that disturb less than one acre are automatically covered. Information needed to determine if your project qualifies for the 1200-CN is available below.
 Owners and operators of automatically covered construction activities must comply with performance requirements and other terms of the 1200-CN permit, but do not submit a DEQ application or pay fees to DEQ. Owners and operators must comply with all applicable local code, ordinance and permit requirements. The local jurisdiction will provide a copy of the 1200-CN permit when construction is approved. If you do not obtain 1200-CN coverage through the local jurisdiction, you must register for the 1200-C. The 1200-CN applies only to the jurisdictions listed below. Please read the permit to determine if your project meets all the eligibility requirements.

1200-CN Jurisdictions for Construction Activities 

That will disturb less than 5 acres:

  • Albany
  • Corvallis
  • Eugene
  • Milwaukie
  • Springfield
  • West Linn
  • Wilsonville
  • Clackamas County Water Environment Services
  • Rogue Valley Sewer Services
  • Clean Water Services
  • Lane County within the MS4 Phase II Permit area
  • Multnomah County (unincorporated portions of the county)

That will disturb less than 1 acre:

  • Gresham
  • Troutdale
  • Wood Village

1200-CA (Government Agencies) Construction Stormwater General Permit

1200-CA (Government Agencies) Permit Copy
    This permit document is for reference purposes only. 1200-CA is no longer available to new applicants.  Please use      1200-C     instead.


Technical Assistance