At Home

Gas FurnaceFurnaces heat air using electricity, natural gas, or other fuel, and distribute the heated air throughout a home using ductwork. Upgrading to a premium efficiency furnace can save energy and money.

A furnace is rated by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) score. The AFUE measures how efficiently a furnace uses its fuel. For example, an AFUE of 95 percent means that 95 percent of the energy in the furnace's fuel becomes heat for the home (the other 5 percent escapes up the chimney or elsewhere).​

Certain premium efficiency furnaces installed in your Oregon home may be eligible for a Residential Energy Tax Credit.
RET​C Qualifications

An installed premium efficiency furnace must meet certain qualifications to earn a Residential Energy Tax Credit​, valued at 50 percent of the cost of the device, up to $492. See the RETC Rate Chart for more information.

Complete qualifications and instructions are outlined in the RETC Application​.

Qualified furnaces must:

  • Have an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of 95 percent or higher. 
  • Be rated an Advanced Main Air Circulating Fan, marked "e" by the AHRI (see below). 
  • Be installed with ducted outdoor air for combustion. 

To see if your model qualifies, search for your furnace in the the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute  (AHRI) Directory. Enter information such as model and manufacturer to produce a list of matches. Find your model to make sure it has a value of 95.0 or higher listed under the AFUE column, and is marked "AFUE & AMACF" under the Eligible for Federal Tax Credit column. Double-click on the row to open and print a copy of the "AHRI Certificate of Product Rating." 

Note: The RETC program is scheduled to sunset on December 31, 2017. RETC devices must be purchased by December 31, 2017, operational by April 1, 2018, and applications must be received by ODOE no later than June 1, 2018.


Complete the RETC Application, including utility and furnace model information, and mail it to the Oregon Department of Energy with a copy of the AHRI Certificate of Product Rating. Be sure to include your itemized invoice showing the full model number, device and materials cost (minus permits and labor), and the total cost of the job.

(instructions and application)

Other federal, local, or utility programs may also offer incentives .

2016/17 Premium Furnace RETC Application
2017 RETC Rate Chart ​​​​​​​​​​​​​
2016 RETC Rate Chart ​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​ RETC Administrative Rules​​​​​​
​Contact the RETC Team: