Statewide Assessment Draft Report & Next Steps
DHS Director's Message
Message from DHS Director Fariborz Pakseresht
August 13, 2018
It’s been nearly a year since I joined you as the DHS Director and one of my priorities has been to help build a foundation that allows the organization to be its best even during times of transition and change.
Shortly after I started, I asked Tim Sinatra, our Director of Organizational Development, to perform a comprehensive assessment of the agency to understand trends across our organization and identify the root problems we need to solve. Becoming our best requires us to solve the root problems to create a stable, solid organizational foundation to support the person-centered and seamless service delivery system we aspire to provide Oregonians.
I am pleased to share with you the draft report on an assessment of our organization. The assessment came together through focus groups, surveys, and strategy sessions held in every service area around the state. The information you provided was coupled with data analysis to produce the draft report on the assessment. More than 2,000 of you from every program, and our central and shared services, attended events in person. Another 1,500 of you responded to a survey.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, experiences and expertise through this process. I believe our staff knows best how we can realize our full potential and your honest feedback is what makes the assessment invaluable in planning our path forward.
As I share the draft report on the assessment, we all need to be clear on the assessment’s purpose and the next steps. This report gives us critical information we need to create a strategic plan for stabilizing and maturing our organization. It provides a starting point; not the finish line. We’ll plot our path toward that finish line together over the fall.
Please keep in mind that the assessment:
- Is a look inside our organization. It is an internal assessment, involving only DHS employees.
- Will be used to inform development of recommendations and related strategies to strengthen our agency and outcomes. No decisions have been made yet in response to the assessment.
Next steps with the assessment include:
- Conducting five regional feedback sessions around the state where staff will be invited to hear a presentation of the state assessment and provide input on the results and recommendations.
- Finalizing the report following the feedback sessions.
- Developing a 12 to 18 month strategic plan to address the top priorities in the assessment.
Thank you for taking time to read this important message and for all you do in service to Oregonians every day. We look forward to hearing your feedback on the draft report. You are welcome to share your thoughts on the assessment by e-mailing me at DHS.DirectorsOffice@state.or.us.