Annual Training Requirements
Aging and People with Disabilities Adult Foster Homes
Each year, after initial licensure, the licensee, administrator, resident manager, floating resident manager, and shift caregivers must:
Complete at least 12 hours of department-approved training related to the care of older adults or adults with physical disabilities in an adult foster home setting.
Up to four of those hours may be related to the business operation of the adult foster home.
- A licensee, administrator, resident manager, floating resident manager, and shift caregivers, as applicable, must maintain First Aid and CPR certification.
Items listed below
do not count toward the required 12 hours:
- Registered nurse delegation or consultation
- CPR certification and First Aid training
- Ensuring Quality Care course (not including EQC refresher courses)
- Adult foster home orientation
- Ventilator Assisted Care Course and skills competency checks
- Consultation with an accountant
Developmental Disability Adult Foster Homes
Each year, the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregivers must:
Complete at least 12 hours of department-approved training.
- Training must be documented in the records of the adult foster home provider.
Addictions and Mental Health Adult Foster Homes
Each year, the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregiver of an Adult Foster Home must:
Complete at least 12 hours of training directly related to the care and services for persons with mental illness.
- Training must be documented in the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregiver's training records.
- This training is in addition to any orientation which is attended by applicants prior to licensing, and includes but is not limited to:
- Understanding and Recognizing Severe and Persistent Mental Illness
- Mandatory Abuse Reporting
- Medication Management, Dispensing, and Documentation
- Incident Report Writing
- Resident Rights
- Adult Foster Home Emergency Planning
- Fire Safety
- Complaints and Grievances
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid
Trainings approved by the Delegated Organizations listed below do not require approval from the Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee if the training meets requirements under the relevant Oregon Administrative Rules and is presented to relevant provider types. To be posted on the website, trainings approved by Delegated Organizations must be submitted to the Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee.
- Oregon Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Safety, Oversight and Quality Unit (SOQ)
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- AFH licensors with authority over OHA or DHS Adult Foster Homes
- DHS AAA or AMH staff w/management approval
- County Mental Health Residential Specialists
- Oregon Care Partners
- Community Mental Health Providers (CMHP)
- Oregon Home Care Commission (OHCC)
- Oregon Technical Assistance Corporation (OTAC)
- Community Developmental Disabilities Programs (CDDP)