Annual Training Requirements
Aging and People with Disabilities Adult Foster Homes
Each year, after initial licensure, the licensee, resident manager, floating resident manager, and shift caregivers must complete at least 12 hours of department-approved training related to the care of adults who are older or adults with physical disabilities in an adult foster home setting. Up to four of those hours may be related to the business operation of the adult foster home. A licensee, resident manager, floating resident manager, and shift caregivers, as applicable, must maintain CPR certification.
Registered nurse delegation or consultation, CPR certification and First Aid training, Ensuring Quality Care Course (not including EQC refresher courses), adult foster home orientation, Ventilator Assisted Care Course and skills competency checks, or consultation with an accountant do not count toward the required 12 hours of annual training.
Developmental Disability Adult Foster Homes
The department requires at least 12 hours of department-approved training annually for the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregivers. Training must be documented in the records of the adult foster home provider.
Addictions and Mental Health Adult Foster Homes
The Authority will require a minimum of 12 hours of training annually directly related to the care and services for persons with mental illness. The training for the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregiver of an Adult Foster Home will be documented in the provider, resident manager, and substitute caregiver's training records. Such training will be in addition to any orientation, which is attended by applicants prior to licensing and will include, but is not limited to:
- Understanding and Recognizing Severe and Persistent Mental Illness
- Mandatory Abuse Reporting
- Medication Management, Dispensing, and Documentation
- Incident Report Writing
- Resident Rights
- Adult Foster Home Emergency Planning
- Fire Safety
- Complaints and Grievances
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid
Trainings approved by Delegated Organizations listed below do not require approval from the Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee if the training meets requirements under the relevant Oregon Administrative Rules and is presented to relevant provider types. Delegated Organization approved trainings must be submitted to Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee for website posting.
- Oregon Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Office of Licensing and Regulatory Oversight (OLRO)
- Office of Adult Abuse, Protection and Investigation (OAAPI)
- AFH licensors with authority over OHA or DHS Adult Foster Homes
- DHS AAA or AMH staff w/management approval
- County Mental Health Residential Specialists
- Oregon Care Partners
- Community Mental Health Providers (CMHP)
- Oregon Home Care Commission (OHCC)
- Oregon Technical Assistance Corporation (OTAC)
- Community Developmental Disabilities Programs (CDDP)