Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services

Do you need help finding resources for yourself or someone else who is Deaf, DeafBlind or hard of hearing? Oregon Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (ODHHS) can help.

  • Our staff can provide advice, referrals and support.
  • We also help public agencies find American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters and real-time captioning (CART) to make their services more accessible.
About ODHHSContact us
For public agencies: Communication services request


ASL interpreters and real-time captioning (CART)

Members of the public
When you make your appointment, let the staff know you need an ASL interpreter or real-time captioning. If you have trouble getting these services, you can contact us.

Public agencies (state, county, city and municipal)
Fill out our online form to request ASL interpreters or CART captioning through ODHHS. Please make requests at least two business days before the event.

Other businesses
You can find interpreters through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf who may be able to help with accommodations. 

Help to pay for hearing aids

There are several groups that may be able to help you pay for hearing aids. See the list.

Help to find a job

If you are looking for a job, we encourage you to contact WorkSource Oregon or Vocational Rehabilitation. These programs offer a wide range of employment services. 

Another resource is Incight. They have "Get Ahead" workshops and job fairs for people with disabilities.

Community events

Check out these sites to find Deaf and hard of hearing events:

 Problems getting accommodations

Problems with Oregon Department of Human Services
If you have trouble getting ASL interpreters or CART for your agency appointments, please email us. (For other case management issues, please talk with the supervisor at the local office.)

Problems at other public agencies
You can email us if you have trouble getting accommodations at a public agency.

Problems in health care settings
If you can't get accommodations for medical appointments, you can file a complaint through OHA. Watch this video in ASL or read the video transcript to learn how.


We are a resource for all Oregonians. We work to improve the quality of life of people who are Deaf, DeafBlind and hard of hearing and their families.

 Watch a video about ODHHS in ASL  Follow us on Facebook

Program brochure

Advisory committee

  • ODHHS is guided by an Advisory Committee. The committee includes people who identify as Deaf, deaf, DeafBlind/deaf-blind, hard of hearing or late-deafened. Members help the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) meet the needs of this community.
  • Interested in joining? The Advisory Committee is currently looking for Deaf, DeafBlind and hard of hearing Oregonians who are interested in serving on the committee. Watch this video in ASL about how to apply or read the video transcript.

Needs assessment

Contact us

By email

General information

Language accommodation questions or concerns

 Don't email requests for ASL interpreters or CART. Public agencies should use our online form to request these services.

ODHHS staff

Krista Gallagher, Deaf Specialist
503-454-6100 (videophone)
503-979-7301 (text only)

Erin Ross, DeafBlind Specialist
971-422-0890 (VP/phone)
971-375-1216 (text only)

Barbara Robertson, Hard of Hearing Specialist
503-509-9550 (voice, text)

Jeffrey Puterbaugh, Accommodations Coordinator
971-600-7877 (text preferred)

Alex Pelusi, Office Specialist