The Food Safety Program does not issue an application unless the establishment has been inspected and all aspects of the establishment are acceptable. A license application is presented only at the time approval is granted. 

Items you will need for your inspector prior to licensing

  • A signed land use co​mpatibility statement
    • ODA license holders are legally obligated (OAR 660-031-0026) to ensure that they comply with land use requirements. Your signature on the inspection report provides ODA with a written record that the licensee understands his/her responsibility.
  • Private w​ell or onsite septic system testing and/or approval
    • Water: If your business is not on city water, the private water system (well, spring or surface water) must be tested and approved. Contact your food safety inspector to determine what type of testing and approval process is required.
    • Septic: If you are not on a city sewer system, contact your local county health department to determine if your private onsite septic system is adequate for the activities that you would like to conduct at your food processing or retail location. You must get approval from the local county indicating that your septic system is adequate for the proposed use.
  • Copy of the final plumbing sign-off, if applicable​​
  • ​​Legal business name and DBA (doing business as) documentation
  • Copy of construction plans and specifications for plan review, if applicable
    Businesses such as food processors regulated under the Code of Federal Regulations are not required to submit plans for review. However, it is highly recommended to have a plan review prior to starting construction to determine if your business will meet the requirements. Plans must be submitted to ODA for review and approval for retail food establishments before:
    • Construction of a new food establishment.
    • Conversion of an existing structure for use as a food establishment.
    • Remodeling of a food establishment or a change of type of food establishment.
  • ​​Process and label information​​​​​​​​​​​
    • ​​​​​​​​​​Food processors will need to provide information regarding the product they would like to manufacture including the ingredients, processing steps, refrigeration requirements, where and how the product will be offered for sale, and the label that will be used if the product will be packaged.
    • ​​Additionally, if the product will be a shelf stable acidified food, the requirements in the acidified food step-by-step guidance must be met.​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Approval inspection and application process

At least two weeks before you want to open, call your inspector, and arrange for an approval inspection. When the inspector gives the approval, he or she will also provide a license application for you to fill out.

  • ​​The application is signed and dated by the inspector.
  • Your mailing address must be correct on the application or you will not receive your license or renewal.
  • Make checks payable to the Oregon Department of Agriculture.
  • The fee may be given to the inspector by check or money order. Payment by credit card is also available.

The inspector will give you the approval inspection report and receipt (if the fees were received by the inspector). Your license will be mailed to you and should arrive in 6-8 weeks. 

  • Licenses issued by the Food Safety Program expire on June 30 following the date of issuance. A notice reminding you to renew your license will be sent to your mailing address prior to this date.
  • Your license enables you to register with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program.


Acidified Foods Step by Step Guide

Acidified foods step by step

Contractors and Food Safety

Oregon Construction Contractors Board and Oregon Department of Agriculture A critical partnership to prevent foodborne illness and to comply with sanitation requirements

Fish and Fishery Products Step by Step Guide

Fish and fishery products step by step

Food Establishment Plan Review Application

Plan review application can be submitted by a business along with their plans. Food establishment plan review

Food Safety License Fee Schedule

Food Safety License Fee Schedule

Food Safety Plan Review Requirements-English

Plan review requirements

Food Safety Plan Review Requirements-Spanish

Plan de Revisión de Requerimientos

Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS) form


OAR 660-031-0026: Compliance and Compatibility Review Procedures for Class A and B Permits

OAR 660-031-0026

ODA Food Code 2013

The food code is used to regulate retail grocery stores, retail meat and bakeries ODA Food Code 2013

Oregon Health Authority Drinking Water Services

Oregon drinking water services

Oregon Labs For Drinking Water and Public Testing

ORELAP accredited Oregon laboratories that test drinking water and accept samples from the public. Oregon Health Authority Oregon labs directory

Registering your Business Name in the State of Oregon


Retail Food Establishment Pre-Opening Checklist

Pre-opening checklist for new or newly remodeled retail food establishments Document

Time as a Public Health Control Template

Time as a public health control- template for written procedure Document

USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA's SNAP Program formerly known as food stamps Website

Water quality permits from DEQ

The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality requires facilities to have a water quality permit for discharges to state waters or to the ground. Water quality permits from DEQ



Main Office
Food Safety
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4720