Skip to the main content of the page

Food Safety

​Contact the correct agency​

  • For complaints involving a restaurant, temporary food event, or mobile food cart: Contact the local public health authority.
  • For complaints involving retail grocery stores, food processing establishments, bakeries, and retail meat markets: Contact the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) Food Safety Program.​Report a Foodborne Illness
Report a foodborne illness   

  • To report a foodborne illness please contact the local public health authority
  • Be prepared to provide the following information to the local public health authority​ ​regarding your suspected foodborne illness:
    • ​Your symptoms: time it started and frequency of events
    • The foods you have eaten within the last 72 hours
    • Name and locations where the food was obtained and/ or eaten
    • Other individuals in a group that may have become ill

ODA's response

  • ODA reviews every complaint that is submitted. Depending on the nature of the complaint, type of food product, the place of purchase, and the location it was prepared or manufactured, ODA will either conduct the preliminary investigation internally or refer the complaint to our food safety colleagues at the local, state or federal agencies. The timeframe to investigate a complaint internally is prioritized based on the food safety risks associated with the situation.​ 

Examples of consumer complaints investigated by ODA

  • ​Unsanitary or unsafe food conditions: Report cleanliness issues or food storage or handling practices that could contaminate food.
  • Storage temperature of food purchased: Perishable foods should be kept hot or cold.
  • Food establishments that have not obtained a license
  • Foreign objects in food
  • Improper food handling and employee practices: improper hand washing, bare hand contact with ready eat food, and poor personal hygiene.
  • Animals in stores: Only service animals, not pets, are allowed in stores.​

Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA

FAQs about service animals

Oregon Local Public Health Authority Directory

Contact information for each local public health authority in Oregon. Local Public Health Authority Directory

Service Animals ORS 659A.143

Unlawful Discrimination in Employment, Public Accommodations and Real Property Transactions ORS 659A.143: Service animals


Report a concern or complaint

File a food safety complaint​

More info from ODA

​Search food safety licenses​

Search frequently asked questions


Main Office
Food Safety
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4720