The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA), in cooperation with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW), will schedule commercial crab sampling. ODA will post forecasted sampling information and biotoxin test results on this page.
Commercial ODFW crab permit holders and ODA license holders are responsible for knowing the status of crab biotoxin zones. Check the ODFW website for commercial season openings and closures, license and permit requirements and commercial crabbing weekly updates. The following zone status information is regarding biotoxin results only.
Sign up for commercial email and text message notifications
Commercial evisceration zones and orders
- Oregon crab:
- Click on the link below titled 'Evisceration orders and recall information' for current and historical order and recall information.
- Zones A through L - open for harvest with no restrictions.
Here are the instructions for when an evisceration and/or recall order is in effect:
- Verify and record all crab received for the area/zone where it was harvested and the date of harvest
- Segregate and label affected crab
- Eviscerate (gut) crab prior to or after cooking
- Denature and destroy the viscera (guts) of the affected crab
- The viscera cannot be used, sold or given away for human or animal consumption or for use as bait.
- If you are not approved and licensed to eviscerate the crab you must either send it to a licensed crab processor who is approved to eviscerate crab, or denature and destroy the crab.
Biotoxin status in commercial crab zones
- Map of commercial crab zones with biotoxin status
- Crab biotoxin lab results
- Zones A through L commercial ocean crabbing are closed by ODFW until the planned season open date of 12/01/19.
- Pre-season domoic acid sampling in crab is forecasted to begin in October 2019.
- Two good sets of samples at least one week apart are needed for evisceration orders to be lifted in any zones under an evisceration order due to elevated domoic acid levels, buffer zones may only need one good set of samples.
Commercial Crab Status Table
|OR/WA border to Cape Falcon
|Cape Falcon to Cape Lookout
|Cape Lookout to Cascade Head
|Cascade Head to Cape Foulweather
|Cape Foulweather to Waldport
|Waldport to Heceta Head
|Heceta Head to Tahkenitch Creek
|Tahkenitch Creek to North Bend
|North Bend to Bandon
|Bandon to Cape Blanco
|Cape Blanco to Gold Beach
|Gold Beach to OR/CA border
Commercial crab rule
ODA has adopted the crab rule OAR 603-025-0410
to describe the process for monitoring domoic acid in Dungeness crab and determining harvest restrictions.