Publishing & Distribution (P&D) offers mail metering services for all state agencies. When prepared properly, this service may qualify your mail for presort rates.
Sort, separate and bundle all mail into the following categories before shuttling your mail to P&D for metering:
- Handwritten addresses
- Certified mail
- Priority mail
For additional information, see our Resources page or view our mail services guide.
Label each bundle using a request for mailing form.
IMPORTANT: You must include your agency number with each bundle of mail on the request for mailing form. The agency number is used for billing. We cannot apply postage to mail without this
Metered mail and package tips
- All mail must be ready 15 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- Nest unsealed envelopes; seal all flats.
- Pick-up limitations: P&D will pick up no more than five boxes per day.
- Package limitations: up to 165” in girth and length combined, up to 108" in length, and a weight of 50 pounds or less. Call to make special arrangements for packages exceeding these limitations.
- Properly label and separate your certified mail.
- Incoming USPS certified mail delivered by interagency shuttle requires an agency signature upon delivery.
- Undeliverable USPS mail will be held for 90 days and if unclaimed will be destroyed.
- Items such as metal pieces, glass parts and product samples require
special packaging before mailing or shipping. Please indicate the
contents of these items on the outside of the package. They cannot be
mailed in envelopes.
When your agency needs to mail letters or packages, use the following guidelines to qualify for postage discounts:
- Capitalize everything in the address.
- Use two-letter state abbreviations.
- Eliminate all punctuation.
- Use standard abbreviations for street designators (i.e.: Boulevard BLVD, Road RD).
- Use simple type fonts (USPS recommends Arial).
- Use a 10 or 12 point font.
- Include no more than five lines to an address.
- Place country name and zip code on the last line when addressing international mail.