Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Department of Early Learning and Care

How to Qualify for Enhanced and Special Rates

Enhanced rates are paid to ERDC providers listed on the Oregon Registry. Special rates are paid to ERDC providers who care for children or youth with disabilities. To see rate amounts, go to the ERDC Maximum Rates page

Enhanced Rates

To encourage providers to pursue child care training and reward those who make the effort, ODHS can pay a higher rate, called the enhanced rate, to child care providers who are listed on the Oregon Registry.

How do I qualify for the enhanced rate?

Family providers and centers who are exempt from Office of Child Care (OCC) licensing must meet specific training requirements of the Oregon Registry to receive the enhanced rate. You will need to:

  1. Complete at least two hours of training on Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
  2. Be currently certified in Infant and Child CPR and First Aid
  3. Have a current food handler card
  4. Agree to complete and submit proof of a minimum of eight hours of additional training related to child care issues every two years
  5. Complete an Enhanced Rate Program application. Get the application here.

You will receive the enhanced rate within 60 days of your name being added to the Oregon Registry.

How do I get added to the Oregon Registry?

To be added to the Oregon Registry, submit an application and proof you've completed the first three requirements.

For more information or an application:

Where can I find trainings?

  • To find trainings in your area, go to the online training calendar or contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R).
  • It is your responsibility to keep your first aid, CPR and food handler certifications current.

Special Rates

How do I get a higher rate for children with special needs?

Special Needs Rate

Providers may be reimbursed at the special needs rate when they care for children or youth with disabilities. This higher rate offers families more child care options in their area. The need must be verified. The Special Need Child Care Rate Request form (DHS 7486) is not required but can be a helpful tool for parents to know what they should provide as verification.

Important: Providers can't charge families receiving help from ERDC a higher rate than what you charge private pay families. Providers can't charge a higher fee or add charges solely because a child has a disability or other special needs. Here is more information about the Child Care Centers and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). You can also call 800-514-0301.

girl playing hopscotch  

High Needs Program

If a child or youth requires a much higher level of care, a supplemental payment may also be available. This is called the "High Needs Program" and involves an assessment of the child. The assessment is done by a specialist from Inclusive Partners. There is no cost to the family or the provider.

If you identify a child or youth who requires a much higher level of care, discuss this with the family and contact the ODHS caseworker or Inclusive Partners at 866-837-0250. You can also email

Once a referral is made, an individual assessment is done to see if a supplemental payment is appropriate.