You may be eligible for TANF benefits if you have children age 18 or younger, or you may be eligible for Refugee benefits.

Visit the TANF website to learn about TANF benefits.  

For Refugee benefits, you must:​

  • Be a refugee. The term "refugee" also encompasses other groups who have been designated by the Office of Refugee Resettlement as being eligible for services as refugees. See who is a refugee as a guide. A worker will then assess if you meet the complex requirements of some categories.
  • For Cash Benefits, you should have been in the U.S. as a refugee for less than eight months or attained the qualifying status within the past 8 months. For Case Management services you should have been in the U.S. as a refugee for less than 60 months.​
  • Live in Oregon
  • Meet the income standards
  • Be at least 18 years old (if you have dependent children, you could be eligible for TANF)
  • Not be a full-time student in college

To Apply​

Go to your local DHS self-sufficiency office to apply for Refugee Benefits.

You can also contact a local resettlement agency to ask for assistance to complete the application.  

For questions about refugee policy, please contact ODHS Central Office at 503-945-5600. ​​