About VR internships
VR welcomes student interns from Rehabilitation Counseling and related training programs.
Internships are ONLY offered for:
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling
- Human Services Assistant
- VR Program Administration experiences (on a case by case basis)
The focus of these internships is to help Oregonians with disabilities find or maintain employment in their communities.
If you are looking for internship opportunities
outside VR's focus, visit the ODHS Volunteer Services page.
You must be:
- Enrolled in an accredited college or university program and be in good standing
- Seeking a degree that will assist you to be qualified to fill a VR position
- Able and willing to abide by the rules, laws, policies and procedures required by the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) and the Vocational Rehabilitation program
- Willing and able to fully comply with the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification's
Code of Ethics (CRCC Code)
- Complete VR's internship application process.
- Complete the ODHS Volunteer Program's orientation and application process. The VR Internship Coordinator will advise you how to contact the ODHS Volunteer Program once your VR Internship Application Packet has been accepted.
- Successfully pass a
comprehensive background check, which may require fingerprints. This background check includes a review of any and all:
- Arrests, charges and criminal convictions
- Elder or child abuse allegations, investigations and convictions
- Driving record (if driving while on duty is required during the internship period)
Having a background that includes past criminal activity or convictions DOES NOT necessarily prohibit you from being able to successfully complete the background check.
VR's internship placements are
If your university program qualifies and funds are available, the
VR Director's Stipend program may be accepting applications.
- The VR Internship Coordinator can provide information about your eligibility, funding availability and an application form if appropriate.
- Director's Stipend awards are expected to be used to offset transportation and related costs of participating in a VR internship.
- Receipt of a stipend does not constitute an employment relationship with VR, the Oregon Department of Human Services or the State of Oregon.
- Receipt of the Director's Stipend may impact financial aid awarded to you or have tax liabilities. Check with your university's Financial Aid office and your tax professional for specific advice.
To be considered for an internship placement, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A current resume (PDF format preferred)
- A copy of your most recent university transcript (unofficial or web versions accepted, PDF format preferred)
- A cover letter describing your interest in an internship
- A completed VR Internship Application (Word or PDF format preferred)