Join the Advisory Committee
We are seeking Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing Oregonians to serve on our Advisory Committee.
To learn more:
About the ODHHS Advisory Committee
The Oregon Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (ODHHS) Advisory Committee:
- Represents individuals who identify as Deaf, deaf, deaf-blind/DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, or late-deafened.
- Assists the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) in identifying the needs and concerns of individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing.
- Makes recommendations to ODHS related to the full achievement of economic, social, legal, and political equity for the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing communities.
- Advises ODHS on:
- How state services for individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing might be improved or better coordinated to meet the needs of these individuals.
- How to best provide information to individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing about where they may obtain assistance in rehabilitation and employment and about laws prohibiting discrimination in employment as a result of disability.
- How to best cooperate with interest groups in rehabilitation and employment for individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing and encourages public and private employers to undertake affirmative action to ensure equitable employment of individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing.
- How to effectively promote information and education to employers and the general public to increase awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of individuals who are Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing and to increase opportunities for equitable education and training that shall ensure these individuals have the opportunity to reach their full vocational potential.
Members are appointed by the Oregon Department of Human Services Director.
The committee strives to maintain a balance of perspectives among its 12 members to represent individuals who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, deaf-blind/DeafBlind, Deaf/hard of hearing with additional disabilities, family members of Deaf/Hard of Hearing people, and professionals who serve Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing people.
Current Advisory Committee Members (pdf)
Meetings and committees
Advisory Committee meets at least six times a year to represent the interests of Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing Oregonians and to provide feedback and recommendations to the ODHS Director.
Executive Committee consists of two co-chairs (one Deaf, one Hard of Hearing) and from one to three at-large members and meets throughout the year to help the Advisory Committee accomplish its work in the most efficient way. The Executive Committee facilitates decision-making between Advisory Committee meetings or in the case of a crisis or other urgent circumstances.
Meeting dates and locations
All committee meetings are open to the public.
ODHHS Advisory Committee Application
We are currently seeking Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing Oregonians to serve on our committee.
If you are interested in being considered for membership, email a completed application form, resume (if you have one) and a letter of recommendation to: