2023 Legislative Session Resources
During each legislative session, the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) presents to legislative committees and advises the Oregon Legislature and the Governor on topics of critical concern to Oregon postsecondary education, working in close collaboration with campus leaders and partners.
Explore recent HECC Work Group and formal Reports submitted to the Oregon Legislature here.
HECC Legislative Updates to the Commission:
HECC staff regularly updates the Commission at its public meetings. View meeting materials here.
Read about the typical budget process and timeline here.
The HECC has introduced several legislative concepts this session which will be introduced as bills soon under the following bill numbers: LC 425—HB 3566, LC 426—HB 3565, LC 452—HB 3564, LC 458—HB 3563, LC 460—HB 3562, LC 469—HB 3561, LC 472—HB 3560, LC 466—HB 3559. These concepts are described in a previous update to our Commission posted here. We will post links to updated descriptions when available.
HECC Legislative Presentations or Testimony
Joint Committee on Ways and Means, Subcommittee on Education
House Committee on Education
- March 16, 2023, HECC testimony on HB 3563 (Creates Oregon Youth Works Advisory Board to advise on and oversee implementation and alignment of youth workforce development programs for which Higher Education Coordinating Commission is responsible).
- March 16, 2023, HECC Testimony on HB 3560 (Prohibits person from suing Higher Education Coordinating Commission for commission's performance, or failure to perform, any duty, function or power relating to psilocybin products following effective date of Ballot Measure 109 ).
- March 14, 2023, HECC Testimony on HB 3561 (Specifies that term "early childhood care and education" includes early childhood behavioral and mental health services for purposes of scholarships and grants awarded to ensure state has adequate supply of early childhood care and education professionals).
- February 22, 2023, Overview of Oregon Financial Aid Programs, Juan Báez-Arévalo, HECC
- January 31, 2023, Future Ready Oregon, Jennifer Purcell, HECC
- January 26, 2023, College Readiness Data, Ben Cannon, Amy Cox, HECC
- January 17, 2023, Higher Education System Overview, Ben Cannon, Executive Director, HECC
House Committee on Business and Labor
House Committee on Behavior Health and Healthcare
- February 1, 2023, Testimony on House Bill 2977 (Requires HECC, in collaboration with OHA, to establish grant program for purpose of distributing moneys to institutions of higher education to develop programs that prepare students to enter into behavioral health workforce)
House Committee on Emergency Management, General Government, and Veterans
- January 26, 2023. Testimony on House Bill 2615 (Allows veterans to participate in Oregon Promise program if first enrolled in classes within 12 months after discharge from military).
Senate Committee on Education
Senate Committee on Labor and Business