Skip to the main content of the page


Do I need a license?

The Oregon Department of Agriculture is responsible for regulating production, processing, and distribution of food products. If you plan to operate a restaurant, host temporary food service events, or operate a mobile food cart, contact your local county health department for a license.

The Oregon Department of Agriculture offers licenses for the following types of food establishments

  • Retail​: Stores with packaged foods or bulk foods.
  • Bakery: Bread, rolls, cakes, pies, doughnuts, cookies, biscuits, crackers, and all ​​similar goods.
  • Food processing and warehousing: Production or storage and distribution of food.
  • Cannabis: Businesses that process or bake cannabis containing foods or have a warehouse or a retail store for foods containing cannabis will require a Food Processing, Bakery, Warehouse or Retail license. You may need to contact other government agencies for additional licenses and permits.
  • Home (domestic) kitchen processing and baking: Foods made in your home kitchen.
  • Meat: Slaughter, preparation, or sale of raw meat (see food processing section for seafood).
  • Eggs: Handling and distribution.
  • Shellfish: Clams, oysters, mussels, whole scallops only.
  • Dairy: Producing, transporting, and processing fluid milk and dairy products.
  • Non-alcoholic beverage: Soda waters, mineral waters, and other carbonated beverages.
  • Pet food: Pet treats or food containing raw or cooked meat.
  • Refrigerated locker​: Individual rental compartments for frozen food storage.

You may need to contact other government agencies to determine if you need a business license or any additional licenses or permits.


Oregon Local Public Health Authority Directory

Contact information for each local public health authority in Oregon. Local Public Health Authority Directory




More info from ODA