Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

Long-term Care Facility Licensing and Quality Assurance

Long-term care facilities must go through a process to be licensed to make sure they provide high quality care. Facilities are inspected regularly to check for problems. Community members can make complaints or report problems.

Who we licenseFinding a licensed facilityHow to make a complaintHow to report abuseHow we investigate

Who we license

The Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) licenses several kinds of long-term care facilities:

  • Community-based care facilities
    • Residential care facilities
    • Assisted living facilities
    • Nursing facilities (nursing homes)
  • Adult foster homes

If you want to know more, you can see the licensing requirements for community-based care facilities and adult foster homes.

Finding a licensed long-term care facility

You can visit the Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) website for help finding the right facility. You can also use our facility search tool to find information about facilities in your area and see inspection reports, violations and notices.

ADRC facility-based services pageLicensed facility search tool

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint to ODHS if you think there is a problem with the quality of care being provided at a licensed facility.

Nursing home complaint

Residential care or assisted living facility complaint

Adult foster home complaint

How to report abuse

If you suspect or see adult abuse, call the statewide abuse hotline at 855-503-SAFE (7233). 

When you call to report an issue, you'll be asked for: 

  • Details about the person you are calling about (like their age, where they live, and their level of functioning)
  • A description of the problem that you feel is abusive or neglectful
  • Information about other people who may have direct information about your complaint
  • Your opinion about whether the person is in immediate danger or risk of harm
  • How we can contact you in the future if we need more information or if you want a copy of the public report

Note: State law protects your confidentiality if you report abuse or suspected abuse in good faith. You can also make an anonymous complaint.

How we investigate complaints

When ODHS receives a complaint about a facility that we license, this is what happens next:

  • If needed, ODHS takes immediate steps to protect any victim from harm.
  • An investigator goes to the facility or home where the complaint occurred.
  • The investigator conducts interviews, reviews records and make observations.
  • ODHS completes a report. The report will have one of three outcomes:
    • Wrongdoing occurred (the report is substantiated)
    • Wrongdoing did not occur (the report is unsubstantiated)
    • It is not clear whether wrongdoing occurred (the report is inconclusive)
  • When complaints are substantiated, ODHS follows up with regulatory action when needed.