Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

Third Party Liability (TPL)

Reporting private health insurance

  • Anyone who gets medical benefits through the Oregon Health Plan (Oregon's Medicaid program, also called OHP) needs to report if they are covered by other health insurance.
  • Providers and Coordinated Care Organizations (CCOs) need to report if a patient's insurance information is different from what the State has on record.
  • This is so private insurance companies can be billed first for medical services and benefits are coordinated.
  • Private health insurance coverage is also called "third party liability" or TPL.

Add, update or remove TPL

OHP members, providers, application assisters and CCO representatives can all report and update TPL.

Report or update TPL

ODHS and OHA staff: Please use the ONE Worker Portal to update TPL information on a case.

Frequently asked questions

You are required to report:

  • Insurance through a job (employer-sponsored health insurance)
  • Insurance that was purchased from an insurance company (commercial health insurance), including Medicare Supplements
  • Student insurance
  • Insu​rance provided by someone who does not live in the same household as the OHP member
  • If your insurance ends or there are changes to your policy​

You don't have to report:

  • Medicare A, B, C, D or Medicare Advantage (Replacement) policy information
  • Car insurance
  • Homeowner’s insurance

If you have OHP and meet the eligibility requirements, Oregon's H​ealth Insurance Premium Payment Reimbursement program​ (HIPP) may be able to reimburse the policy holder for their ​private health insurance premiums.

Learn about the HIPP program

We will only use this information:

  • To make s​ure your benefits are coordinated​ between the primary and secondary insurance coverage.
  • To determine eligibility if you apply for the HIPP program.

Contact us