WHAT IS LOIS?
LOIS, or Laboratory Online Information System, is a web-based tool provided to customers of the Oregon State Police Forensic Services Division that allowing users to check the status of lab requests and retrieve signed copies of final lab reports. In addition, LOIS includes communications with OSP’s law enforcement partners and allows printing of ICP certifications and assessments.
WHO CAN ACCESS LOIS?
Anyone who is a member of a law enforcement agency serviced by OSP’s Forensic Services Division who needs access to the work done on behalf of their agency.
ESTABLISHING A LOIS ACCOUNT
Contact your local agency administrator to establish an account. If you do not know who your agency administrator is, or if you want to arrange access for your agency, contact the OSP LOIS administrators at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you receive an email notifying you that a report is available in LOIS, you may click directly on the link in the email or go or access LOIS directly here: https://xn.osp.state.or.us/LOIS/Login.aspx
- To log in, type your User Name and Password and click the Log In button or press Enter.
- To leave LOIS, click Logout on the top navigation menu within any of the screens within the program.
- If you have forgotten your password or user name, or your login has been inactivated, click the link on the login page to reset your account. You can also contact your local administrator for help resetting your account.
FORENSIC DOCUMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Once you log into LOIS, you will be on the “Home” screen. From here, you can view any current announcements as well as documents such as communications to law enforcement partners and the OSP Forensic Services Request Form (Form 49).
SEARCHING FOR A CASE
Click on the Case Search tab on the top navigation menu to search via the available fields shown below When Begin Search is pressed; the system will search for case information based on the criteria entered by the user.
When searching via the Forensic Lab Case Number, enter the two digit year, the originating laboratory’s letter designation, a hyphen, and sequential number (e.g., 18A-3124).
When searching via the Agency Case Number, enter only numbers and place a hyphen between the year designation and the subsequent number, and drop all leading zeroes. For example, 1800007890 would be entered as 18-7890.
Searches may also be conducted using persons listed on the evidence submission documentation.
To conduct another search, select Back to Search Screen. If you are unable to locate a request or case information in LOIS, do the following:
- Verify that an analytical request has been made to the forensic lab and has not been canceled. Try entering less information in your search criteria as there may be a difference between the information you have and what was provided to the laboratory.
- Verify you are searching for information that you have rights to view.
Read more about accessing and using LOIS in our newsletter.