An official website of the State of Oregon
Here's how you know »
An official website of the State of Oregon »
You are here:
Recognition from the Water Resources Commission is given to individual citizens, groups, businesses, or other partners that show outstanding commitment to the Oregon Water Resources Department's (WRD) mission to promote responsible water management and to conserve Oregon's water resources.
Given to Central Oregon Irrigation District. The Central Oregon Irrigation District’s (COID) mission statement is to “Provide reliable and efficient delivery of water to our patrons in an environmentally and economically sustainable manner with courtesy and integrity.” Since 2000, COID has increased stream flows in the Deschutes Basin by nearly 39 cubic feet per second (cfs). One such example of their dedication to the environment is the Siphon Power Property Canal Piping Project which resulted in 5 cfs of water being returned to the Deschutes River, benefitting wildlife, fish and the river ecosystem.
“The Stewardship and Conservation Awards celebrate those making a meaningful difference in conserving one of Oregon’s most precious natural resources. Highlighting those setting a good example not only recognizes the role that water users, municipal water providers, and agricultural water suppliers play in balancing water demands with sustainability, but it also provides an avenue to share these innovative ideas and successes with the public at large.” says OWRD Director Tom Byler.
The Oregon Water Resources Department administers the Water Management and Conservation Plan (WMCP) program. WMCPs provide municipal and agricultural water suppliers an opportunity to develop a strategy for efficiently managing their water supplies to meet existing and future demands.
Presented to Woody and Megan Wolfe, early adopters of conservation practices in Wallowa County, Oregon. The Wolfe family, The Freshwater Trust, Oregon Water Resources Department, and the Columbia Basin Water Transaction Program worked together to fund and implement a large-scale irrigation efficiency upgrade that converted 872 acres of land from flood irrigation to pivot irrigation. Ninety percent (90%) of the conserved water was allocated to the state and permanently transferred instream. The remaining ten percent (10%) of the conserved water was allocated to the Wolfe Family to irrigate 60 acres of previously dry land during the early irrigation season.
The City also subjected their original WaterWise program to a rigorous verification process by the Alliance for Water Efficiency (AWE), an internationally recognized water conservation and efficiency organization. AWE compared Bend’s programs to the newly created ANSI-AWWA-G480 Standard for Water Conservation Programs. The City was one of the first in the country to be reviewed and earned a “Silver rating”. The City is using the results of this review and rating to improve their programs and plans to seek the AWE “Platinum rating” in the future.
Since then, the City’s implementation of its WMCP, water curtailment plan, and water rates have reduced historic consumption and peak per-capita water demand by almost 20 percent (20%). Implementation of the conservation program also helped delay the timing of future water system expansions and reduce pressure on the current system.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
A lock icon ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website.
Only share sensitive information on official, secure websites.
Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how