Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Nine DMV offices to stop offering motorcycle skills tests

ODOT Radio News

May 27, 2014

For more information: David House, (503) 945-5270


Download this story in mp3 format. 


Suggested lead: Nine DMV offices will end offering motorcycle skills testing as of June 1


SALEM - Oregon has been phasing in a motorcycle rider education requirement in place of DMV skills testing under legislation first passed in 2009. Because of that, fewer DMV offices need to offer motorcycle rider skills tests.

House: DMV will discontinue motorcycle skills testing in nine field offices as of June 1. Those offices are: Albany, Baker City, Cave Junction, McMinnville, Pendleton, Roseburg, Southeast Portland, St. Helens and Tillamook. (:20)

DMV Spokesperson David House said every year, the law has added a new age group to those required to take motorcycle rider education. In 2014, everyone under age 61 who doesn’t have a motorcycle endorsement from another state has to take the required training.

House: To get a motorcycle endorsement in Oregon first you must have a valid Oregon driver license for passenger vehicles, then you can go to OregonDMV.com or you can go directly to Team-Oregon.org for information on how to enroll in the Team Oregon basic rider training course. When you complete that course, you’ll get a certificate you can present to DMV and that will get you your motorcycle endorsement on your license. (:25)

There are seven DMV field offices still providing skills tests. They are Beaverton, Coos Bay, Eugene, La Grande, Medford, North Salem and Prineville.

House: We’re in the last year of doing motorcycle riding tests at DMV offices. We have been gradually reducing the number of offices where that’s available. (:10)

House said DMV will continue to offer skills testing for three-wheel motorcycles because the law does not require rider education for those vehicles. Reporting from Salem, I’m Shelley Snow.




Extra actuality

House: Oregon has been transitioning from testing motorcycle riders for their skills at DMVs toward an education-based system where you take a rider education course and then you get a certificate and then you present that with your valid passenger car driver license at DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement. (:22)