The Board is engaged in an important endeavor to improve the educational requirements for licensure. It is presently exploring the adoption of APA accreditation as the standard for education in Oregon.
Events & Materials
- Education Summit- November 23, 2013, 10am-1pm (Grand Hotel, Bridgeport; or by phone).
The public was invited to provide testimony regarding perspectives on APA accreditation. Representatives form several programs presented their viewpoints and experiences with the accreditation process. The Board encouraged all attendees to share any data that may assist in the Board’s decision-making process.
Education Summit Presentation
- Board Meeting- January 17, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
During public session of the regular meeting, the Board debriefed on the Education Summit and discussed some important points that were brought up by those who contributed to the discussion.
Education Summit Takeaways Accreditation References Meeting Minutes
- Board Meeting- March 21, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Board again discussed APA accreditation during public session of the regular meeting. A workgroup consisting of staff and Education Committee members was tasked with further exploration and research.
- Education Committee Meeting- April 18, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Committee determined to move forward with a proposal that will adopt APA accreditation as the standard, and present it to the full Board at the May meeting. The Committee began discussing what the proposal should look like.
- Education Committee Meeting- April 28, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Committee discussed policy implications. Administrative rule language will be drafted by staff.
- Board Meeting- May 30, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Education Committee summarized the work so far to develop a rule that will allow graduates of programs that are applying for APA accreditation to qualify for licensure.
- Board Meeting- July 18, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Board reviewed draft rule language and decided to move forward.
- Public Hearing- October 20, 2014 at 10:00am (Salem, OR or by phone).
Oral testimony will be taken at the public hearing, or you may submit written comments until October 20, 2014.
- Board Meeting- November 14, 2014 (Salem, OR or by phone).
The Board will review written comments received from the public and the hearing officer's report on the public hearing. The Board will determine whether to file the permanent rule.
Meeting Agenda (forthcoming)