Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Limited Permits

The Board may grant a limited permit to practice psychology in the State of Oregon to individuals who possess and have maintained an active license as a psychologist in another jurisdiction in good standing.  It is the applicant's responsibility to check permit requirements prior to applying; permit application fees are non-refundable.  See OAR 858-010-0055

There are two types of limited permits, a Visitor's Permit (out-of-state psychologists) or a Temporary Permit (for Oregon applicants). Please see below for detail and how to apply.

Note: Permit holders may access the License Portal to view their license number and effective dates.

Visitor's Permit

Visitor’s Permit is for psychologists licensed in the United States (50 US States only) that do not intend to seek full licensure in Oregon and are providing psychological services for a limited, specific purpose.

A Visitor’s Permit allows a psychologist actively licensed in another state in good standing to practice psychology in Oregon for a limited purpose and for a limited, time-specific period.

The Statement of Work must list a specific work purpose, time period, and location of the activity to be performed.  Board staff may request further clarification or request Board review if your statement does not contain sufficient information or it is unclear that a proposed scope of work fits the limited qualifying criteria.

Work that is ongoing, open-ended, and/or does not have specific purpose will not qualify for a limited permit.  A full license is required in these cases.

  • ​I have been appointed by the Payette County District Court to conduct a child custody evaluation. On July 2nd, I plan to conduct perform a home visit observation at the father’s home in Ontario, Oregon.
  • I have a patient who is a college student in Washington, and she will be returning home to Portland, Oregon for summer break from June through August.  I wish to provide tele-mental health services to her on a biweekly basis from my office in Seattle, Washington.
  • I have been asked to perform work as a subject matter expert on factitious disorders by Oregon DHS in Salem.  This will include clinical interviews of a family (mother and father) and records review on or about January 1st -5th, followed by a report [detail] and possible expert testimony in Marion County Court (I will update the Board on the date if this is scheduled).
  • My patient of 5 years is moving to Eugene, Oregon and I am requesting a permit that will allow me to perform weekly telephone therapy sessions (as appropriate) from my office in Reno, Nevada beginning the week of November 3rd in order to provide continuity of therapy, support for any adjustment difficulties she may experience, and to transition her to a local provider.  I expect to end the week of December 1st but will notify the Board if this changes.
  • I have been appointed by the Unites States District Court, District of Oregon, Portland Division to conduct a psychological evaluation [detail] of an inmate housed at the Multnomah County Inverness Jail during the first week of May.​

  • ​My office is near the border of California and Oregon and I wish to expand my practice to see patients at a colleague’s Oregon office space one day every other week (no more than 30 days total) between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2015.
  • I plan to conduct evaluations and consult at a wilderness program for 2 days per month beginning on May 30th. 
  • I have three custody evaluations scheduled in Oregon for this summer but I will not go over the 30 day limit. 
  • My patient is relocating to Hood River, Oregon and I would like to continue therapy over the phone biweekly or as needed on an ongoing basis.
  • I will be conducting assessments on 5 clients in Oregon.
  • Oregon Psychologists on inactive status.

The permit is valid for no more than 30 days in a 12 month period (the 30 days do not need to be consecutive). You must be actively licensed in another jurisdiction in good standing.  

How to Apply.  Apply for a Visitor's Permit via the Applicant Portal (select "Visitor's Permit" as the Application Type).You must submit your statement of work and include the following:

  1. A complete description of the work to be performed, including the purpose; 
  2. The location of the activity;
  3. The specific dates of the activity (frequency of visits & start/end dates, not to exceed 30 days in a 12 month period); and
  4. The names of the parties requesting the activity to the extent permissible under confidentiality laws. 
Any changes made to this statement must be submitted to the Board's office, including adjustments to dates.  Oregon licensees on inactive status are not eligible for a Visitor's Permit. 

Temporary Permit

Temporary Permit is for approved applicants for full licensure by endorsement.  The permit is valid for 90 days, during which time the applicant must take and pass the Oregon Jurisprudence Exam.  Those who have not been licensed for at least 5 years in another state must name an Oregon consultant. 

How to Apply.  Applicants who apply under the "Endorsement" application type will have the option to also apply for a Temporary Permit as part of the online application.  See Apply for a License for more information on how to apply via the Endorsement Method.