Renewing your Qualified or Certified Letter
All Oregon State approved HCI letters (Qualified and Certified are valid for 3 years from the date of issue (OAR 333-002-0140 and 333-002-0150). Qualifed letters are not renewable for languages that have certificiation exams available.
All Qualified and Certified HCI's must complete 24 hours of OHA approved continuining education (CEU):
Approved CEUs from the following organizations will be accepted by OHA for the renewal of HCI letters:
- Certification Commission for Health Care Interpreters (CCHI),
- International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA)
- American Translators Association (ATA)
- Oregon Judicial Department (OJD)
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
- Washington State (DSHS)
- Oregon Health Authority, Office of Equity and Inclusion (OHA/OEI)
Step 1: Complete your required continuing education hours
Information on local continuing education providers
Step 2: Complete your Health Care Interpreter Renewal Application
Health Care Interpreter Renewal Application
Step 3: Background Check Process for Health Care Interpreter
Background check process for HCI.
Step 4: Submit your application renewal form
Send your completed Renewal Application to:
Health Care Interpreter
Office of Equity and Inclusion
421 SW Oak Street, Suite 750
Portland, OR 97204
* Are you having problems with accessing our on-line application? Please follow the instructions from this link. The instructions will help to download the application in Chrome and Firefox. Also, make sure you have the current version of Adobe Reader.
Do you need help with your application?
We are unable to meet with you without an appointment, please email our staff to make an appointment and wait until you hear from us before you come to our office.
Have a quick question?
Email us at HCI.email@example.com