Long Term Care

Licensed Long-Term Care Facilities and Authority

A variety of licensed facilities in the community provide care and assistance for individuals needing help with activities of daily living, medication administration and personal care. The Department of Human Services, Office of Licensing and Regulatory Oversight (OLRO), licenses the following types of facilities:

  • Residential Care Facilities
  • Assisted Living Facilities
  • Nursing Facilities

Adult Foster Homes are licensed by the local DHS office or Area Agency on Aging where the home is located.

Licensing Process and Standards

To be licensed, certain standards must be met and maintained. All facilities are inspected periodically and surveys are conducted. Learn more about the licensing and survey process at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Facility Complaint, Investigation and Reporting Process

Making a Complaint

To make a complaint, please call the toll-free number of the Community-Based Care Licensing Complaint Unit: 1-844-503-4773. You may also email: licensing.complaint@state.or.us

If you suspect or witness adult abuse (What is adult abuse?) you may call our statewide toll-free reporting hotline at 1-855-503-SAFE(7233). When you call to report an issue, a screener will gather information in order to determine the most appropriate response. Some of the information you may be asked to provide includes:

  • Details about the person you are concerned about such as age, where they live, and their current level of functioning (if known);
  • A description of the problem or the situation you feel is inadequate, abusive or neglectful;
  • Information about other people or witnesses an investigator may want to speak to who may have direct information about your complaint;
  • Whether or not the person is in immediate danger or risk of harm;
  • Details about how to contact you in the future if additional information is needed or if you would like a copy of the non-confidential public report.

Note: State law protects the confidentiality of all people reporting abuse and anyone who reports suspected abuse in good faith. The department also accepts anonymous complaints of abuse or neglect.

Complaint Investigation and Reporting

In Oregon, thousands of complaints are made on behalf of residents of facilities each year. If a complaint is made involving a facility that is licensed to provide care, the following actions are taken:

  • An investigator will respond to the facility or home where the complaint occurred.
  • The investigator will conduct interviews, review records and make observations.
  • A report will be completed that concludes whether wrongdoing has been substantiated, unsubstantiated or inconclusive.
  • Immediate steps will be taken to protect a victim from harm.

Complaint Reports

Search licensed facility complaint reports.​

If you have a complaint about a nursing home, please call 1-877-280-4555 or email nf.complaints@state.or.us.

If you are a FACILITY following mandated self-reporting requirements, please use the​ ​Facility Incident Self Reporting form and send to email: FRI.incidents@dhsoha.state.or.us