The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) Natural Resources Program oversees the conservation district elections process. Elections for SWCD directors occur every two years. The next General Election is scheduled for November 5, 2024.
Candidates and districts must follow specific guidelines to advertise the elections and to have candidates’ applications processed and placed on the ballot. ODA notifies the districts and county clerks which positions are to be on the ballot for election, the procedures to follow, and deadlines needing to be met.
Candidates and districts are responsible to submit the appropriate paperwork to the local county clerk and to ODA.
Documents for filing will be made available by April 1, 2024.
Requirements for eligibility
The eligibility requirements for district directors was significantly changed in SB 775, which was passed in 2023. Please note that as of January 1, 2024, all zone directors must reside in the zone in which they represent. For the purposes of director eligibility, residency refers to the place in which the candidate is registered to vote.
Candidates for At Large positions must reside within the boundaries of the SWCD and be a registered voter in that district.
The other positions on the SWCD boards are Zone positions. Zone directors must be a registered voter and reside within the zone they represent. In counties with fewer than 250,000 residents, eligibility requirements also include:
- Own or manage 10 or more acres of land in the zones they represent in the district and be involved in the active management of the land; or
- Indicate an interest in natural resource conservation as demonstrated by serving at least one year as a director or associated director of a district and having a conservation plan that is approved by the district.
Currently, the following five counties have populations over 250,000 residents and zone directors only need to be a registered voter and reside in the zone they represent without the above additional requirements:
- Clackamas (Clackamas SWCD)
- Lane (Upper Willamette and Siuslaw SWCDs)
- Marion (Marion SWCD)
- Multnomah (East Multnomah and West Multnomah SWCDs)
- Washington (Tualatin SWCD)
Find your SWCD and zone
Put your address in the search bar of the SWCD interactive map page to find your SWCD and zone within your district.