Nursery and Christmas Tree

  • How can I have a plant pest or pathogen identified?Licensees of nurseries and Christmas tree businesses are encouraged to contact their nursery inspectors for assistance in the identification of plant pests or pathogens. The ODA entomology and plant pathology laboratories and personnel in Salem are also available for plant insect and disease identification. Additionally, Oregon State University plant clinic provides disease identification. The Pacific Northwest Plant Management Handbooks online are great resources to help identify pests; as are the Pacific NW Insect Management Handbook and Disease Management Handbook.
  • How do I calculate the cost of a Christmas tree license?Christmas tree licenses include a basic charge of $70 plus an acreage-based fee. To figure out Christmas tree license fees, use the Christmas tree license calculator. For a summary of fee schedules, see Oregon Administrative Rules or the Christmas tree application form.
  • How do I calculate the cost of a nursery license?Nursery retail licenses are based upon reported annual purchases while nursery grower licenses are based upon reported gross sales. Use the nursery license calculator to determine appropriate nursery license fees.
  • How do I sign up for the Christmas Tree Listserv?The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) started an email listserv to communicate important information to nursery license holders and others. To subscribe send a blank email message to:
  • How do I sign up for the Nursery Listserv?The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) started an email listserv to communicate important information to nursery license holders and others. To subscribe send a blank e-mail message to:
  • I am moving to Oregon. Can I bring my houseplants with me?Plants that are in soil should not be brought into Oregon unless they have been inspected. However, there is no mandatory rule. There is a noxious weed list that prevents some plants from being transported into the state.
  • I’m interested in growing ginseng. How do I get started?Ginseng is an endangered plant and it is regulated by an international treaty (CITES) to prevent over-harvest. Commercial sales and interstate movement of ginseng require certificates of origin. You can grow ginseng for personal use or direct-to-consumer sales, within the state, without a license. If, however, you want to grow and sell it wholesale, you need a license from the Oregon Department of Agriculture that costs $25 per year. Certificates of origin are supplied to licensees upon request and licensees must report harvest and sales figures, annually. Oregon’s ginseng management program rules are available under OAR 603-060.
  • Importing plants: What is the Notification Rule?Recipients of tree and shrub nursery stock imported into Oregon from any out-of-state source are required to notify the Oregon Department of Agriculture. Notification shall be via mail, fax or email to: Nursery Program Supervisor, Plant Division, Oregon Department of Agriculture, 635 Capitol St. NE, Salem, OR  97301-2532; fax 503-986-4564; . The notice must be received by ODA no earlier than two business days before the arrival of the shipment and no later than two business days after its arrival. Notification shall include the species, quantity, and source of plant(s), as well as contact information for recipient.
  • What are the various types of nursery and Christmas tree licenses?The Nursery and Christmas Tree Program issues four types of licenses: retail nursery license, greenhouse/herbaceous plant nursery license, wholesale nursery, and Christmas tree license. The retail nursery license is used by retail dealers, florists, and landscapers who do not grow or propagate plant material but instead sell plant material grown by other nurseries. Individuals growing or propagating plants in only a hothouse or greenhouse should select a greenhouse nursery license. A wholesale nursery is one that propagates or grows plants in the field or in pots and typically sells to other nurseries or landscapers. The wholesale nursery also might have greenhouses and one sales location. Growers of conifers intended for use as cut Christmas-trees must obtain a Christmas tree license.
  • What if my truck filled with nursery products is held at the border?If you have a truck being held at an international border (e.g., Canada) and need assistance, a "held export form" must be filled out and faxed, 503-986-4786 or emailed to the Plant Division, ( For shipments being held at a state border contact the Nursery & Christmas Tree program (503-986-4644).
  • What is a phytosanitary certificate?A phytosanitary certificate is a document issued by a certified state or federal official that verifies that plants have been inspected and are free from pests, pathogens, and invasive weeds of concern to the importing state or country. All applications for certificates must be done online through the PCIT system.
  • What is a plant import permit?A plant import permit is an official document listing requirements and restrictions from the receiving country. Please check with your area horticulturist for requirements. For detailed information, review our import permit information.
  • What is a plant shipping permit?An Oregon shipping permit is a certificate issued by ODA that certifies the plant material is regularly inspected and found free of dangerous pests and diseases. Plant material shipped out of state must be accompanied by a shipping permit.
  • What is blueberry scorch virus?Blueberry scorch virus (BBScV) is a plant disease of blueberries (Vaccinium spp.) and cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) as well as other Vaccinium species. Damage to blueberry plants includes leaf, shoot and flower necrosis, dieback, reduction in fruit production, and in severe cases, death of plant.
  • What is European pine shoot moth?The European pine shoot moth, Rhyacionia buoliana, is a insect pest of pine. Three states, including California, Hawaii, and Montana, have quarantines effecting Oregon grown pine nursery stock or cut pine Christmas trees. These states either require pesticide treatments or negative trapping within the growing grounds of each nursery or Christmas tree plantation before shipment of pine.
  • What is GAIP?Nurseries involved in the Grower Assisted Inspection Program (GAIP) use best management practices (BMPs) in their facilities to prevent the introduction of Phytophthoras. For detailed information, review what is GAIP?
  • What is PCIT?Phytosanitary Certification Issuance and Tracking, PCIT, is a web-based certification program administered by the United States Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS). All exporters of nursery and Christmas tree stock are required to use the PCIT system to submit requests for state and federal phytosanitary certificates and other export certificates. For detailed information, review exporting plant material.
  • What is required to bring plants into Oregon from another state?Restrictions may apply and certain certifications might be required, depending on the type of plants and the state of origin. For detailed information, review importing plant material. An official list of quarantines can be found in the Oregon Administrative Rules. Note: Oregon Administrative Rule 603-054-0027 requires the receiver of all out of state trees and shrubs to notify ODA Plant Division of the shipment no more than two days after the shipment.
  • What is required to move houseplants across state or international borders?States have varying requirements for incoming plants and might not allow your houseplants or landscape plants to enter. If you are planning a move to another state and want to take plants, you can access the National Plant Board website for current state regulations. For international regulations, contact the Nursery program.
  • What is required to ship Christmas trees?The Oregon Department of Agriculture provides a summary of requirements to ship cut Christmas trees to states and territories of the United States and selected foreign countries. Inspections and certifications are provided by ODA personnel. Review the information in the summary and contact the your area horticulturist to arrange field inspections before harvest and certification. Provide at least five days notice before the actual shipping date when requesting certificates.
  • What is required to ship holiday wreaths?Most states, including Oregon, do not regulate cut flowers, cut branches and products produced from them such as wreaths, garlands, door/swags and bulk branches and boughs. Even though wreaths and cut boughs are not regulated, most states have the authority to inspect packages containing plant products. Shipments of holiday greens to customers in foreign countries must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate. For detailed information, review our shipping holiday wreaths information. Contact ODA to arrange for inspection and certification.
  • What is required to ship lumber?Lumber companies may obtain shipping information to determine whether they need to have shipments certified. Lumber shipments to foreign countries may require federal certification. If you have determined that you need or want certification, the United States Department of Agriculture-Animal Plant Health Inspection service (USDA-APHIS) has a web-based phytosanitary certificate issuance and tracking system (PCIT) for issuing domestic and international certificates. The Oregon Department of Agriculture has been authorized to issue these certificates. An hourly rate is charged in addition to the USDA certificate fee.
  • What is required to ship plants internationally?Most plants and propagative plant parts require a federal phytosanitary certificate issued by a certified state or federal official. Before a phytosanitary certificate is issued, the plant shipment first must be inspected by a state or federal official for pests, pathogens, and invasive weeds of concern to the importing country. An Import Permit from receiving countries may also be required. Please check with your area horticulturist for country restrictions and requirements. For detailed information, review our exporting plant material information. Plant import and export information is available from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).
  • What is required to ship plants out of state?Restrictions may apply and certain certifications may be required, depending on the type of plants and the destination. For detailed information, review the shipping plant material webpage. Also visit the National Plant Board to check individual state restrictions.
  • What is SOD?SOD (Sudden Oak Death) is the common name for the federally quarantined pathogen, Phytophthora ramorum.
  • What is the brown garden snail?The brown garden snail (BGS), Cantareus aspersus (formerly Helix aspersa), is an exotic pest that feeds on a wide variety of plants, including cereals, vegetables, and ornamentals. Native to western Europe and the Mediterranean, BGS has spread throughout the world because of its use as a food source and the movement of infested nursery stock.
  • When do I need a Christmas tree license?Growers of Christmas trees, one acre or more, are required to license with ODA. Licenses are valid for one year and must be renewed by June 30 of the next year. Licenses are not prorated.