NOTICE: Plate transfer requirements changed July 1, 2018. If you are the current or previous owner of the vehicle the plates were removed from, the registration period listed on the plates transfers with the plates onto the vehicle. If you are not the current or previous owner of the vehicle the plates were removed from, you must provide all registration requirements and registration fees along with the $6 plate transfer fee.
You can transfer your plates to another vehicle if they are:
- Going on the same type of vehicle.
- For example, motor home plates can only be transferred to another motor home.
- A style currently issued by DMV, special plates or custom plates; and
If you are not sure if your plate can be transferred, contact DMV.
How to Apply
If your registration is expired, or you were not an owner on DMV records of the vehicle the plates were removed from, see the Renew Your Registration section for instructions.
- Fill out an application;
- Submit your application and $6 to DMV:
- By mail (pay by check or money order to ”DMV”):
- DMV Vehicle Mail
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
- DMV office.