Skip to main content Homepage

Vehicle Types


You cannot claim ownership of an abandoned vehicle on your property.  DMV cannot give you the name or address of the person who owns the vehicle.

To have an abandoned vehicle towed from your private property, you must first follow the steps in ORS 98.830. DMV does not provide a “form” for the notice, the information can be written on a piece of paper. Give the notice to the tow company who removes the vehicle.

To report an abandoned vehicle on a public road, contact your local law enforcement agency.

​The four classes of ATVs (Class I, II, III, and IV) are defined by Oregon law: ORS 801.190–194.

Please review the Oregon OHV Guide for further ATV definitions and safety requirements.

You may title your ATV with DMV. DMV does not issue registration for ATVs. Oregon Parks and Recreation issues ATV permits.

​Assembled vehicle is defined in ORS 801.130.

Learn how to title and register your assembled vehicle.

​Commercial bus is defined in ORS 801.200. Commercial buses over 8,000 pounds that are not subject to weight-mile tax can be registered with DMV.

Non-commercial buses with a registration weight of 10,000 pounds or less get passenger registration. If the registration weight is over 10,000 pounds and it is not subject to weight-mile tax, you can get bus registration from DMV.

Learn how to title and register your bus.

Any bus over 26,000 pounds may be subject to weight-mile tax. If your bus is subject, you must register with​ Commerce and Compliance.​

​Camper is defined in ORS 801.180. If your camper is permanently attached to a motorized vehicle it is considered a motor home.

Learn how to title and register your camper.

Commercial vehicle is defined in ORS 801.210. It excludes fire trucks, emergency vehicles, motor homes and recreational vehicles operated only for personal use.

The Commerce and Compliance Division issues most commercial vehicle registration. DMV can title your commercial vehicle and register heavy trucks or permanent fleet vehicles up to 26,000 pounds or over 26,000 pounds if it is:

  • Not subject to weight-mile tax;
  • Charitable/non-profit;
  • Government exempt;
  • Farm;
  • Tow/recovery; or
  • Manufactured structure toter.

​Motorized vehicles that carry or move freight, articles, or people over the highways may qualify for farm registration. Trailers and motor homes do not qualify.

The Commerce and​ Compliance Division must approve your application before you apply for title and registration.

​You cannot get a title for a junk vehicle in Oregon. Junk vehicles have been determined by another state to be non-repairable. Junk vehicles may be described as:

  • Destroyed;
  • Dismantled;
  • Hulk;
  • Junk;
  • Non-repairable;
  • Non-rebuildable;
  • Parts only;
  • Scrap; or
  • Wreck.

To re-title the vehicle, you must work with the state that issued the junk certificate, junk title or similar ownership document.

​Many of these vehicles can be imported.  They can be titled in Oregon, but cannot get registration because they were not primarily manufactured for U.S. roads or highways.

Learn how to title ​your vehicle. 

​When a vehicle is repurchased by the manufacturer because of Oregon’s consumer warranty law due to a defect in the vehicle, the title must be branded as “Lemon Law Buyback.”  Check out our Lemon Law Buyback page to learn more.

Low-speed vehicle is defined in ORS 801.331.

They are subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 500 and OAR 737-010-0010.

The Low-Speed Vehicle Certification must be submitted with all other title and registration requirements.

Medium-speed electric vehicle is defined in ORS 801.341.

They are subject to OAR 737-010-0020.

The Medium-Speed Electric Vehicle Certification must be submitted with all other title and registration requirements.

​Moped is defined in ORS 801.345. A powered bicycle, other than an electric assisted bicycle or motor assisted scooter may be considered a moped.

Learn how to title and register your moped.

Motor home is defined in ORS 801.350.

A motor home must have permanent sleeping and cooking facilities.

Learn how to title and register your motor home.

Motorcycle is defined in ORS 801.365

If your motorcycle has an enclosed cab, you do not have to wear a helmet or have a motorcycle endorsement.

Learn how to title and register your motorcycle.

Review the Park Model Recreational Vehicle (PMRV) Certification​ to find out what is considered a PMRV. ​

Park model recreational vehicles cannot get registration or trip permits.

Learn how to title your park model recreational vehicle​.

Passenger vehicles are designed and used to transport people. If your vehicle has a combined weight over 10,000 pounds it may be registered as a bus or truck depending on how it is used.

*Combined weight is generally the total empty weight of all combined vehicles plus the total weight of the load carried on the vehicles. 

Learn how to title and register your passenger vehicle.

Pocket bikes are considered toys. They cannot be titled and registered.

Racing activity vehicle is defined in ORS 801.404.

They are exempt from certain requirements (ORS 815.109) if they have original equipment and accessories, or equivalent; and the vehicle is kept in a safe working condition. They can get special interest registration and can only be used:

  • For exhibitions, parades, or club activities;
  • Driving from your home to a race track, within 90 miles; or
  • Test driving for maintenance or repair purposes, within 30 miles of where it is maintained or repaired.

ATTENTION: Most vehicles DO NOT qualify for this type of registration. If your vehicle was originally manufactured as a passenger vehicle, it DOES NOT qualify.

If you believe your vehicle qualifies, contact DMV​ before you apply.

​Reconstructed vehicle is defined in ORS 801.408.

Learn how to title and register your reconstructed vehicle.

​Replica vehicle is defined in ORS 801.425.

Learn how to title and register your replica vehicle.

Totaled vehicle is defined in ORS 801.527.

If your vehicle is a total loss you must submit the title to DMV (or your insurer) within 30 days of the declared loss. You can apply for a salvage title or a title branded as assembled, reconstructed, or replica title (if the vehicle has been rebuilt).

You can get more information on the Division of Financial Regulation​ website.

DMV cannot issue a title if your vehicle has certain kinds of ​damage (see Junk Vehicles above).

Learn how to title and register your vehicle.

Snowmobile is defined in ORS 801.490.

You must have a snowmobile decal to operate your snowmobile, even on your own land, unless you are exempt under ORS 821.090.

If you are an out-of-state resident whose state does not require registration, you can get a snowmobile permit to use your snowmobile in Oregon. 

You must have a valid driver license or a Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate to use a snowmobile in Oregon.  You must complete the Oregon Snowmobile Safety Education Course to get a certificate. 

Learn how to title and register your snowmobile.

​If your vehicle has been stolen, contact local law enforcement and notify your insurer.
If you did not have insurance, you must complete a Stolen Vehicle Notification within 60 days of the theft.

Street rod is defined in ORS 801.513.

Contact ODOT Transportation Safety to find out about equipment and safety requirements for your street rod.

Learn how to title and register your street rod.

Tiny home trailers built by manufacturers may be considered travel trailers or park model recreational vehicles.  They must be built to the appropriate standards.​

​Tow vehicle is defined in ORS 801.530. Check out our Tow/Recovery Vehicles page to learn more and find out if you must register your vehicle as a tow/recovery vehicle.

You do not need a tow/recovery business certificate and registration if you are helping another motorist, as long as it is not for business purposes.

Light trailers have a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except trailers for hire (for-rent), travel trailers, fixed loads and special use trailers. You do not have to title or register trailers with a loaded weight of 1,800 pounds or less.

Heavy trailers have a loaded weight over 8,000 pounds. Travel trailers, fixed loads and special use trailers cannot be heavy trailers. You must pull a heavy trailer with a vehicle registered by weight. If your vehicle has passenger registration you can:

Trailers must meet safety standards.

Learn how to title and register your trailer.

​Travel Trailer​ is defined in ORS 801.565. If your travel trailer is wider than 8 1/2 feet when in travel position, or longer than 45 feet you cannot title or register it.

Learn how to title and register your travel trailer.

Trucks are designed or used primarily for carrying loads other than passengers. If you have passenger registration and are hauling a heavy trailer with your truck, you will need to get truck registration or buy a Registration Weight Trip Permit.

DMV can title and register trucks or permanent fleet up to or over 26,000 pounds if they are:

  • Not subject to weight-mile tax;
  • Charitable/non-profit;
  • Government exempt;
  • Farm; or
  • Tow/recovery.

The Commerce and​ Compliance Division issues registration for trucks over 26,000 pounds combined weight that are subject to weight-mile tax. 

Learn how to title and register your truck.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how