Skip to main content

ATV Permits

ATV permits in Oregon

An ATV Operating Permit (sticker) is required for your machine if you are operating it on lands open to ATV use. The price is $10 and is valid for two years.

Each permit represents the number of ATVs in Oregon and the appropriate fuel taxes are placed in the ATV Grant Fund. About $75 of fuel taxes are applied to every Permit purchased in Oregon.

These funds are put back on the ground to keep your riding areas open and in good condition.

There are two ways to purchase a Permit:

Buy Online

Go to our State Park online store to purchase. You will be emailed a receipt, to print or save on your phone, to show in the field, until your sticker arrives in the mail. It is good for 21 days.

Find an onsite agent

There are approximately 96 private ATV operating permit agents located throughout the state and several State Parks Offices to purchase the permit you can place on your machine.

Oregon accepts permits from other states which accept our permits, including California, Washington and Nevada. Other states such as Idaho, Utah and Arizona do not accept Oregon permits, therefore we cannot accept theirs. For a complete list, see the "Oregon Riders getting out-of-state permits" link below. Out of state residents can purchase an Oregon permit for $10 which is valid for two years.

These funds help provide statewide funding for off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation projects such as operation and maintenance, law enforcement, emergency medical services, land acquisition, planning, and development in Oregon's OHV recreation areas.

The ATV Operating Permit, also known at ATV Sticker or Decal, is required when operating a Class I, II, III or IV ATV on lands open to the public for ATV use.

If a vehicle, such as a motorcycle or truck has a license plate, they need the permit on trails or sand dunes. If you are operating a street legal vehicle such as a truck on forest gravel roads which are open to passenger vehicles, then you do not need a permit. These gravel roads may be open to ATV use, and then you would need to have ATV sticker if you do not have a license plate.

You can purchase ATV Permits one of 3 ways:

1) Online at

2) At any one of the many permit agents located throughout the state in stores and ATV dealerships

3) You can also purchase the permit over the phone, with Visa or MasterCard, by calling 877-772-3359. Hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

Please have the following information ready purchasing a permit:

  • Make
  • Model
  • Class Type (ATV, Motorcycle, 4x4, Side-by-side)
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Name of owner
  • Address (house number & street)
  • Mailing address if different from above, and city, state, zip code

The price for a Class I, II, III, or IV permit is $10.00.
All permits, Class I, II, III, and IV are valid for 2 years from the month of issue. The permit expires on the last day of the month punched on the permit. Therefore if a permit is purchased at the beginning of the month, it will be valid for 2 years plus the remainder of the days of that month.
For side-by-sides, jeeps, trucks and passenger vehicle, the permit must be visible from the rear of the vehicle. Suggested placement areas are bumper, tailgate or rear window. For quads, place the permit on the right hand side of vehicle in visible location for sand rail vehicles the permit is to be displayed on the backside of the roll bar in the middle. For motorcycles, display permit in a location that is visible when the rider is on the vehicle.

Permits that are lost or damaged, such as broken windows, switching out body parts, or peeled off by removing front forks will be replaced for the full fee and a new permit must be issued.
Out of state permits:
An ATV/OHV operating permit that is issued in another state shall be honored in the State of Oregon if the issuing state also honors an Oregon ATV operating permit.  This arrangement is Reciprocity.  Unfortunately more states do not accept the State of Oregon Permit, therefore residents of those states must purchase an Oregon ATV Permit.

There is not a different permit for out of state residents. You would just purchase the regular Oregon ATV Permit and that would be valid for 2 years. 

For a list of states that have reciprocity with Oregon visit the Out-of-State Riders section below.

A person who operates an off road vehicle in a designated off road area or trail without a permit is subject to a Class C traffic violation. Which is base fine of $160.

Oregon has a program of reciprocity for ATV Permits, which is dependent on other states having reciprocity with Oregon. If another state accepts our Permit, then we accept their Permit. There are three scenerios: 1) states that we have reciprocity with, 2) states that we do not have reciprocity with and 3) states that have no permit program.

ATV Permit Reciprocity
As of January 2020, there are 20 states we have reciprocity with. If someone has a current Permit from one of these States, it is accepted in Oregon and Oregon’s ATV Permit is accepted in their state.

New Mexico
New York
Rhode Island
**Washington (pending legislation in effect 10/1/21, Washington permits may not be valid in Oregon). Oregon is currently reviewing this to determine legal sufficiency.

No Reciprocity
There are states that specifically do not accept our permits, therefore we cannot accept theirs. Out-of-state riders can purchase a permit on our on-line Park store, which would instantly give them a .pdf file in their email which they can use as proof for permit for 30 days. The actual permit will be mailed to you within 21 days. They cost $10 and are valid for 2 years.

New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Dakota

No Permit
There are 14 other states that have no permit program at all, therefore they need to purchase the Oregon permit. Out-of-state riders can purchase a permit on the on-line Park store, which would instantly give them a .pdf file in their email which they can use as proof for permit for 30 days. The actual permit will be mailed to you within 21 days. They cost $10 and are valid for 2 years.

North Carolina
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia

Some states issue License Plates for ATVs, which allows them to operate on paved roads in their states. Those vehicles are NOT street legal in Oregon.

​The states that do not have reciprocity with Oregon, require Oregon residents to get an out of state permit. If you are a Oregon Resident and wish to ride in one of the following states, you will need to get a permit for that state. Most of them can be ordered online. Click on the state for directions to obtain a permit.

Arizona $25 - 1 year
Colorado $25.25 expires March 31st
Idaho $12 expires December 31st
Iowa $17.75 expires December 31st
Maine $76, 7 days
Maryland $10
Massachusetts $33 - 1 year
Montana $35 expires December 31st
New Hampshire $40, 10 days
New Jersey  $38
North Dakota $10, expires December 31st
Texas $16 expires August 31st
Utah $30 + $5 online order- 1 year 
Wisconsin $20, 5 day
Wyoming $15 - 1 year
Washington – Effective October 1, 2021, Washington requires Oregon Residents to get a Washington Permit ( They are free, but riders must go to a Washington Vehicle Licensing Office, with receipt of your Oregon ATV Permit and Driver License, to be issued a Washington Permit. To find an office and check hours go to

The other states either accept Oregon’s ATV Permit or do not have a permit requirement.

​Ocean Shore ATV Operating Permits are issued by OPRD. A person with a disability can establish they are entitled to a reasonable accommodation by providing OPRD a copy of physician’s letter; DMV disabled placard; Veterans letter; or Oregon State Parks Special Access Pass.

Once established, they can qualify for a permit to operate a quad (Class I ATV) or side-by-side (Class IV ATV) on certain ocean shore areas. However, upon request from an individual with a disability, OPRD may issue such a permit for sections closed to motorized use using criteria established under OAR 736-004-0062.

For more information, please contact (503) 881-4637

​There are approximately 160 private ATV Operating Permit Agents located throughout the state.

To become an ATV Operating Permit Agent, visit Doing Business with OPRD for details.

May 12, 2020 Note: We are not accepting applications for ATV Operating Permit Agents at this time. We'll update this information when we resume accepting applications.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how