Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Veterinary Applications

To apply to become a Veterinarian or Certified Veterinary Technician in Oregon, you must:

1. Submit an Application

You can now submit an application online! Visit our Self Service Portal, then click on Applicant Portal. The first time that you visit the Applicant Portal, you'll click on "New User? Apply Now" to receive a temporary password allowing you to login and access the application. The application will ask you about all of the information listed on this page- so make sure that you read through the rest of this page before getting started! Applicants without a social security must submit  this affidavit.

2. Pay the Application Fees

You can pay by credit card or check. You'll pay after you've entered all of the information on your online application as a final step.  If paying by check, please mail your check after submitting your application online.  Applications are not complete until valid payment is received.  Please make checks out to "OVMEB" or "Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board".

3. Take and Pass the Oregon Jurisprudence Exam (JPE/RDT).

All applicants must pass the JPE/RDT. The JPE/RDT is a law exam based on the content of the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) and Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR). It is an open-book exam. Applicants must successfully complete the exam with a passing score of at least 95 percent, and the Regional Disease Test, with a passing score of 100 percent. The license application and Oregon Jurisprudence Exam/Regional Disease Test fee of $75.00.

4. Provide Proof of graduation from an accredited program. 

A copy of a college diploma or a letter from the graduate's school verifying satisfactory graduation, or, if a graduate of an unaccredited foreign veterinary school certification of satisfactory completion of requirements of the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG), or verification of completion of other foreign graduate equivalency programs approved by the Board.

It is the applicant's responsibility to request that proof of graduation be sent to the Board. Applicants are responsible for any fees that the school may charge for transcripts. An applicant may request their school send an electronic official transcript, if offered by the school.  Please have the transcript send to the board at

Alternatively, graduates of an unaccredited veterinary school, must submit proof of completion of all requirements of the Education Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) program or the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education (PAVE).

5. Take and Pass the National Exam.

If you have not yet taken the National Exam: 

To register for the NAVLE, the candidate shall apply to the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME), or phone 701 224-0332.

All applications for the VTNE must be made directly to the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB, 

If you have already taken the National Exam: If you are applying in Oregon and did not previously have your score report transferred to Oregon when you initially took the exam, or at any point subsequently, you must have your score transferred to Oregon directly from VIVA by going here.

6. Provide verification of all health care licenses ever held, if any.

You must provide official verification of all professional health care licenses you have ever held regardless of status (active, expired, inactive, and lapsed, etc.) and includes all relevant dates and notation of disciplinary actions, encumbrances, or other similar information.  Please note:  A copy of your license(s) is not a verification.

Verifications cannot be more than 90 days old at the time the Oregon Board issues the license.

To apply to become a Certified Euthanasia Technician in Oregon, you must:

1.  Apply for a CET Intern License: (1) Applicants must first apply as a CET Intern in order to obtain the training required for a permanent CET certificate. CET Interns may not act independently but only under the immediate supervision of a CET or Oregon licensed veterinarian. The intern certificate will expire within one year of issue date and does not renew.

Click here to download the CET Intern Application

2.  Submit the application and intern license fee of 25.00

3.  Complete the required training outlined in 875-040-0010 

4.   Submit the CET application and license fee of 25.00

Click here to download the CET Application and Evaluation

  Online Facility Registration 

To register your Facility online:

  1. The Managing Veterinarian must log on to their personal portal
  2. Click on Facility Application
  3. Click on New Application
  4. Print a copy of the application and submit the signed certification and completed, signed pharmacy self-inspection checklist.

Note: A change of address and a change of ownership requires a new facility license. Follow steps above to complete this. If there is a change of Managing Vet (MV) the outgoing and incoming MV must submit an e-mail to indicating the change. No fee is required for a change of MV. 

Information on Veterinary Facility rules can be found here

New Facility Application with pharmacy self-inspection checklist