In 2022, the Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) Apprenticeship and Training Division (ATD) was awarded $18.9 Million in grant funding to support the development, expansion and implementation of registered apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs. The funds will accelerate innovation in health care and manufacturing apprenticeships and support the development of pre-apprenticeship training programs in healthcare, manufacturing, and construction.
The investment known as "Future Ready Oregon" was funded by the Oregon State Legislature in Senate Bill 1545 (SB 1545). This Bill increases BOLI's ability to offer Oregonians even more options to attain family-sustaining wages through apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs.
The grants will be awarded to community-based organizations, labor organizations, local workforce development boards and other entities to develop apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship training programs that prioritize program participation by apprentices from populations historically underrepresented in apprenticeship.
To date, there have been 3 rounds of funding with 49 awarded grants that reach all 9 of Oregon’s Workforce Regions. The 4th round begins on September 22, 2023.
- Round 1 Application submissions: May 2 – June 2, 2022 (Complete: see Round 1 awards here.)
- Round 2 Application submissions: August 2 – September 2, 2022 (Complete: see Round 2 awards here.)
- Round 3 Application submissions: November 4, 2022 – March 10,
2023 (Complete: see Round 3 awards here.)
- Round 4 Application submissions: September 22, 2023 – November 3, 2023
Proposals during Round 4 will be disbursed in two installments; 50% in month one of the grant agreement period and 50% in month five.
RFGA Information & Application Instructions
Please review the Request for Grant Applications (RFGA) linked below for details about eligibility and timelines. At each funding round, available awards intend to balance investment across industries, priority populations, and state workforce regions.
Round 4 is different than previous rounds. Round 4 will be a two-part, progressive application. Part 1 of the application provides the Apprenticeship and Training Division with an overview of the applicant organization and the grant focus, activities, and outcomes. After review of the Part 1 Applications, select applicants will be invited to submit Part 2 of the application.
FRO Round 4 Timelines:
BOLI Future Ready Oregon - Round 4
Request for Grant Applications (RFGA) & Application Released
Part 1 Application Deadline
Part 2 Application Invitations Released
Part 2 Application Deadline
Council Review & Approval
Grant Period Begins
Grant Period Ends
Grantee Final Report Due
Round 4 Grant Application & Related Document Links:
Registered Apprenticeship Program, Pre-Apprenticeship Program, and Future Ready Oregon Application Information
Click on the videos below to learn more about the apprenticeship model and program creation:
Materials Required for Application:
Resources for Applicants:
Drop in anytime during “Virtual Office Hours" every Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the two open FRO application periods. During each two-hour office hour session, ATD Grants Team staff will be available to answer your questions. Click HERE
for the schedule & Microsoft Teams meeting links.
Application Review Process
Round 4 applications will go through as many 5 review stages. Evaluation criteria for Round 4 grant applications are summarized below. Review the RFGA for a complete description.
- Part 1 - Application Submission: ATD will screen and review all submitted Part 1 applications to ensure they are complete and decide who will be invited to submit Part 2 of the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and the applicant will be notified of disqualification.
- Part 2 - Application Submission: ATD will review Part 2 applications to ensure they are complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and the applicant will be notified of disqualification.
- Evaluation Committee: Complete Part 2 applications will be reviewed and scored by the Grants Evaluation Committee using the Scoring Rubric in Attachment C of the RFGA. The Evaluation Committee will include a diverse panel of stakeholders that have knowledge about apprenticeship, workforce development in one of the three grant industries or grant management.
- ATD Recommendations to Council: ATD will review the Evaluation Committee scores and funding recommendations. The final applications that will be moved forward to Council for review and final approval at the next scheduled OSATC Meeting.
- Council review and final approval.
To learn more about other grant programs outside of BOLI in the Future Ready Oregon Workforce Investment Training package, click here.
Oregon State Apprenticeship and Training Division Council Meeting Materials
Previous meeting decisions, summaries, and notices of upcoming meetings including for BOLI Apprenticeship Grants Program oversight, can be found on the OSATC page.
If you have questions about the Future Ready Oregon: BOLI Apprenticeship Grants Program, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all questions regarding the application and evaluation process by posting to the FAQ sheet above. Please direct media inquiries to email@example.com.