Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some oft asked questions to DOGAMI. If yours is not answered here, please email

DOGAMI no longer sells printed materials. But all of our publications are available for free download in our Publications Center at print-ready resolutions. Any local or online printing shop should be able to print items for you. Visit Publications Center:​​​

A good first step is searching our Publications Center, where all information DOGAMI has published since 1937 is available for free download: The U.S. Geological Survey has also published Oregon information, which is available in their Publications Warehouse:

Oregon tsunami evacuation brochures are available through an interactive web map viewer and as PDFs at: Print copies may be available for some coastal communities – contact the local county emergency management office for availability.  ​

DOGAMI does not provide identification or valuation services. We suggest getting in touch with your local rock or mineral club, which may be able to direct you to resources in your area. A list of clubs is available on the Oregon Council of Rock and Mineral Clubs website:

The Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory at Portland State University is a great resource for identifying meteorites. Their “Think You’ve Got a Meteorite?” website will walk you through the steps of meteorite identification:

A good resource is Oregon HazVu, DOGAMI's interactive web map for viewing information about earthquake, landslide, flood and other hazards:


HazVu is intended to provide a starting place for learning about geologic hazards, and to help you determine whether you might need to hire a geotechnical professional to evaluate your property. HazVu includes the best available DOGAMI data, but mapping may not be complete for all hazards in all areas.​


Our agency isn't able to provide site-specific assessments, but we can point you toward resources for hiring a geotechnical professional to evaluate your property. The Oregon Board of Geologist Examiners has a Consumer Guide that's a good starting place: Your local city or county building or planning division may also have information that's specific to your area. ​