Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

Independent Living Services for Individuals with Disabilities

Independent Living Services help individuals who experience disabilities achieve personal goals for independence and participation in their families and communities.

What services are available?Who is eligible?How can I receive services?

What services are available?

The five core Independent Living Services are: 

  • Information and referral
  • Independent living skills training
  • Peer counseling
  • Individual and systems advocacy
  • Life transition assistance (related to youth leaving secondary education, or individuals transitioning to or remaining in the least restrictive living environment)

The State Independent Living Council oversees Oregon's Independent Living Services. You can attend their quarterly meetings if you'd like to share your feedback about services in Oregon.

Who is eligible for services?

Individuals of any age are eligible for Independent Living services if the following three things are all true:

  • You have a disability, and
  • Your disability substantially limits your ability to function independently in your family or community (including, but not limited to self-care, mobility, communication, housing, employment, education, etc.), and
  • Independent Living Services would help you in at least one of these ways:
    • Improve your ability to function in your family or community
    • Maintain your ability to function in your family or community
    • Help you find, keep or advance employment

How can I receive services?

Independent Living Services are provided by Centers for Independent Living (CILs) in various locations within each state. CILs are private, non-profit organizations run by people with disabilities. Services are provided through a peer mentoring model.

Find the CIL nearest youCIL basic facts

  • The map below shows the counties served by various Centers for Independent Living across Oregon.
  • These counties don't currently have CIL services: Benton, Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Hood River, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk, Sherman, Tillamook, Wasco and Yamhill
Map showing counties served by Centers for Independent Living in Oregon

CIL Achievements Report
Learn how Independent Living services reduce reliance on public funds and increase public revenues.