Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

College Financial Aid for Foster Youth

There are programs to help foster youth pay for college

To get most grants and scholarships, you need to fill out either the FAFSA or the ORSAA. Applications open October 1 each year.

Questions? Email the ODHS Youth Transitions Team

Student aid for foster youth Resources Ready to apply?

Types of student aid

State and federal student aid programs can help you pay for your education after high school. These include:

  • Grants: Funds that you don't have to pay back (other conditions apply)
  • Work-study: Part-time work while you are in school
  • Loans: Funds that you will have to pay back

If you have student loans, there are ways to consolidate your loans and lower your monthly payments when it's time to start paying back the loans. 

Who you can talk to

If you have questions about continuing your education after high school:


Learn about grants and scholarships

Mentoring and career coaching

See also

Ready to apply?

Fill out one of the applications below for most grants and scholarships.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Fill out the FAFSA

Use this form if you are in one of these groups:

If your FAFSA is rejected or verification is required, read this Fact Sheet on FAFSA Rejection and Verification or visit the Federal Student Aid website for more instructions.

Oregon Student Aid Application

See if you should fill out the ORSAA

Use this form if you are an Oregon resident in one of these groups:

  • You are undocumented
  • You have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, and/or
  • You have Temporary Protected Status (TPS).