Skip to main content Homepage

Wildfire Information

The wildfires devastating Oregon are leaving many without essential documents including things like a driver license, ID card or proof of vehicle ownership. Most damaged documents can be replaced through an online request at DMV2U. To complete most online transactions, you will need your driver license or ID card number, plus other information known only to you. If you do not know your card number, call DMV Customer Assistance at 503-945-5000 and they can help you. DMV is working closely with the American Red Cross to help victims of the Oregon wildfires access DMV services. If you have been impacted by the wildfires call the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767. 
If you are in a car or RV with expired registration tags, remember that there is an enforcement moratorium in place through the end of the year. You can read more about the grace period for ID, licenses, permits and registration below. 
For information about impacts to DMV services visit our DMV office index or the DMV COVID-19 update page.


​Order a replacement license or ID card online through DMV2U ​by selecting “Replace my card”. You should not be cited for an expired license or ID at this time. If you have not received your card after 20 days, you can check your card status on DMV2U​.

IF YOUR ADDRESS HAS CHANGED: Your new card will be mailed to the address on record, so be sure to update your mailing address before you submit a replacement request. You can update your mailing address online by selecting “Change my address” from the DMV2U menu. 

You can order a replacement vehicle registration online through DMV2U. 
  • On DMV2U​ choose “Access my DMV Profile” and provide security information to login
  • Find the vehicle you would like a registration card for
  • Choose “Replace your registration card” and complete the application
  • The fee is $5
If you need to update your address, do that first. DMV will mail the new registration card to the mailing or residence address on record.
Insured Vehicle 
You do not need to report the loss to DMV. Contact your insurance company. They will help work out towing and tell you if title is needed for your claim. You may want to check if they cover your registration cost as part of the loss.
NOTE: If you have a loan on the vehicle, contact your lienholder to see if they have the title.
Options When Insurer Requires Ownership Proof
If the insurance company only requires a DMV record showing you as the owner, and the Oregon title is in your name:
  • Complete DMV’s Order Your Own Record form 735-7266;
  • Provide $4 check or money order; and
  • Mail to the address below.

Oregon DMV
Record Services (Wildfire)
​1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314

NOTE: Some insurance companies have access to DMV records, so ask your insurer if they can view your vehicle record before you submit a record request to DMV.
If the insurance company requires an Oregon title in your name to process your claim:
Title not in your name on DMV records
Title in your name on DMV records
​If you know the owners, skip these steps and find out what you need to apply​.
If you do not know who is listed as owners on DMV records, you must complete and submit an Affidavit to Establish Financial Interest in a Vehicle form 735-7116A and supporting documents by mail to the address below.
​After receiving the DMV record, mail a certified restricted letter to the owners listed on the DMV record, asking them to release interest in the vehicle (the release must include the VIN). 
  • If the letter comes back unclaimed, DO NOT open it.  Contact DMV for next steps. 
  • If the mail was delivered, you must get releases from the owners before you apply for a title.
Oregon DMV
Record Services (Wildfire)
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314​
​​If you do not plan to repair or resell the vehicle, submit completed Replacement Title Application form 735-515, and a check or money order for the title fee, by mail to the address below.
If you plan to repair or resell the vehicle, follow the salvage title instructions.
NOTE: If you don’t have the Oregon title, submit a completed Replacement Title Application form 735-515, and fee, by mail to the address below.

Oregon DMV
Salvage (Wildfire)
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314

Uninsured Vehicle
Your vehicle is considered totaled if the estimated cost to repair the damaged vehicle is equal to at least 80 percent of the retail market value of the vehicle prior to the damage. You can either:  
  • ​​​​​​​​​​Apply for a salvage title, if you plan to repair or sell the vehicle.  (If the title was in your name and it was destroyed, submit a completed Application for Replacement Title form 735-515 instead of the title); or 
  • If you do not plan to: Rebuild or repair the vehicle; transfer ownership of the vehicle or vehicle frame or unibody; or use the frame or unibody in repairing or constructing another vehicle:
    • ​​​Contact a Dismantler, who will need the title or primary ownership document. 
    • Submit a statement to DMV indicating that the vehicle is totaled and will be dismantled. 
NOTE: If you do not have the title or primary ownership document, see instructions for “Having Your Vehicle Towed/Dismantled" (below).
Mail to: 
Oregon DMV
Salvage (Wildfire)
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314
If the estimated cost to repair the damaged vehicle is not 80 percent or more of the retail market value of the vehicle prior to the damage, it is not considered totaled.  You can apply for a reconstructed vehicle title if it meets that definition.  If it does not need a reconstructed vehicle title, check out other title instructions.
Having Your Vehicle Towed/Dismantled
If your vehicle is destroyed and you plan to have it towed by a dismantler, here are a few tips:
  • ​You may want to check with more than one dismantler, or tow company.
  • Check that the dismantler, or tow company, is certified by DMV​.
    • ​Be prepared to provide the dismantler with the title or DMV record print.  A Vehicle Record Print can be ordered by mail for $4.  Mail the Order Your Own Record form 735-7266​ and fee to the address below.
  • ​If your vehicle was towed without your permission, contact law enforcement to report it stolen.  If it was uninsured, you can also file a stolen notice with DMV if it is not recovered within 30 days.
Oregon DMV
Record Services (Wildfire)
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem OR 97314​​​​​
If your vehicle was damaged by wildfire, please contact your local Red Cross (1-800-733-2767) for assistance connecting with DMV.
  • On DMV2U choose “Access my DMV Profile” and provide security information to login.
  • Vehicles titled in your name are listed on your account, including the VIN.
Note: You may see vehicles listed under your name that you have reported as sold. Until a sold vehicle is registered to a new owner, it will appear on your DMV profile even if you are no longer the registration holder.
If you have a new mailing address or are having mail sent to a trusted family member or friend, change your address with us. 

IMPORTANT: Do this before ordering a replacement license/ID card or registration card. 
  • On DMV2U​ select “Change My Address” and enter the requested information.

Review the ​Rep​orting the Loss/Total Destruction of Vehicle Due to Damage section​ (above) before applying for a replacement title. It may not be required.

Ordering a replacement title must be done by mail. 

  • Use these instructions​ to apply for order a replacement title if yours has been lost, destroyed or damaged. 
  • If you are replacing the title for a passenger vehicle, check out our fees page​ to find out your title fee.​

​Going online is the fastest and easiest way to complete your business with DMV.​​​​

​Some transactions are available to do by mail:

On May 6, 2021, Governor Kate Brown signed into law House Bill 2137, which creates a moratorium on citations for expired driver licenses, permits, vehicle registration and disabled parking placards. The new law only applies to expiration dates of less than six months from the date of the violation. Beginning May 5, individuals may be eligible to renew their license or ID card online at DMV2U. Renewing your vehicle registration is available at DMV2U for eligible vehicles today. Read a public notice about the grace period​.

Employers and Job Seekers 
The Department of Homeland Security has issued temporary policies related to COVID-19 for E-Verify and Form I-9​.
DEQ closure and your registration
  • ​Most DEQ testing stations are now open.  Check out for information on hours and closures. 
  • DEQToo™ businesses also provide DEQ testing. Visit for more information. Once you pass the test, renew online at DMV2U​.​

Most DMV offices are open to the public by appointment only.  

See if you need to make an appointment at a DMV office. You can also change or cancel an already scheduled appointment. ​ 

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how