- Night time single and double lane, ramp and shoulder closures in both directions on I-5.
- Full overnight weekend closures on I-5 between Marquam and Fremont bridges; follow signed detour routes.
- Multiple overnight closures on several I-5 exit and entrance ramps.
- Lane closures on cross-streets near on-ramps and off-ramps.
Construction is underway
Night work is required to minimize traffic impacts during the day. This work includes paving, grinding, median barrier work, ADA sidewalk curb ramp excavation and construction, and sign work.
Call the 24-hour project hotline for nightime noise-related questions or concerns: 1-833-840-1106
Construction Work Hours:
- Night time weekdays (Sundays through Thursdays):8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Night time weekends (Fridays): 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Saturdays: 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Meetings and EventsVisit the online open house for calendars and interactive maps of upcoming construction on I-5 in Portland and for information about other work in the area at the I-84 at I-5 interchange.
- Spring 2017 - Preliminary design phase
- Late Summer 2017 - Final design phase
- Summer 2018 through fall 2019 - Construction phase
* Dates are subject to change due to weather and site conditions.
Night time work begins in June 2018 and will continue until fall 2019. Expect night time lane closures for paving work on I-5, including paving exit and entrance ramps, replacing the median barrier, upgrading sidewalks, improve signage and upgrade ADA ramps.
The following full closures of I-5 are scheduled to occur in July and August over four full weekends.
Southbound I-5 will be fully closed between the Fremont and Marquam Bridges on the following two weekends:
- 10 p.m. Friday, July 13 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 16
- 10 p.m. Friday, July 20 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 23
Northbound I-5 will be fully closed between the Marquam and Fremont Bridges on the following two weekends:
- 10 p.m. Friday, July 27 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 30
- 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 6
Other projects in the area of I-5 at I-84 started in June and will require around-the-clock two week
closure of three of the bridges that connect I-84 and I-5 in July and
Visit the project website for more information, work schedules and detour routes.
What Travelers Can Do
- Adjust work schedule to avoid peak period of travel
- Avoid the area
- Take transit
- Ride a bike
- Take a vacation