Project Elements Include:
- Three enhanced pedestrian signals (Rectangular Rapid Flash Beacons, “RRFBs”) will be installed on Powell Blvd. at SE 24th, 31st and 34th to alert drivers of pedestrians crossing.
- Safer crossings for bicyclists and pedestrians will include high visibility striping and center islands.
- A new wider pedestrian waiting area on the southeast corner of 26th Avenue and Powell Boulevard near Cleveland High School to provide more space for students waiting to cross Powell Boulevard.
- A new truck apron on the southeast corner of 26th Avenue and Powell Boulevard to increase safety by allowing large vehicles to turn without entering the pedestrian zone or encroaching on vehicle lanes.
- New signals at intersections (SE 21st, 26th, 33rd) with enhanced safety features, including bigger and more visible signals and poles, and audible countdown pedestrian signals.
- Tree removals and trimming to increase visibility.
- Improved street lighting.
- Enforcement lights for public safety.
- Increased visibility of bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
- Sidewalk ADA ramp improvements and repair of some sidewalks.
- Improved signage and more visible street names.
SE Powell Boulevard from SE 20th to SE 34th Avenues
Cost and Funding
Project cost: $4,637,698
James W. Fowler
What Problem Will This
The project is expected to increase safety by reducing serious crashes within the project area while minimizing traffic impacts to the neighborhoods and local businesses.
This area of Powell Boulevard (U.S. 26) serves 34,600 to 38,500 cars and trucks per day, in addition to thousands of bicyclists, transit riders and pedestrians. People use the corridor to go to schools, parks, social service agencies, restaurants and shopping. This section of Powell Boulevard is also used by commuters traveling through the area by car and bus to get to work in other areas of the city and by trucks for deliveries to businesses.
Part of ODOT's mission is to provide a safe, efficient transportation system. This busy section of Powell Boulevard (US26) has a history of safety issues and is a high priority for Safety Funding on the state system. There are high rates of rear end and turning crashes involving motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians.
Factors contributing to these crashes include poor visibility of bicyclists and pedestrians, limited sight distances, frequent left turns and side streets that are close together. The accident frequency and severity merits needed safety improvements.
For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) or Civil Rights Title VI accommodations, translation/interpretation services, or more information call 503-731-4128, TTY 800-735-2900 or Oregon Relay Service 7-1-1.
Si desea obtener información sobre este proyecto traducida al español, sírvase llamar al 503-731-4128.
Если вы хотите, чтобы информация об этом проекте была переведена на русский язык, пожалуйста, звоните по телефону 503-731-4128.
如果您想瞭解這個項目翻譯成 繁體中文 的相關資訊，請致電（503）731-4128. 如果您想了解这个项目翻译成 简体中文 的相关信息，请致电503-731-4128.
이 프로젝트에 관한 한국어로 된 자료 신청방법 전화: 503-731-4128.
Nếu quý vị muốn thông tin về dự án này được dịch sang tiếng Việt, xin gọi 503-731-4128