Updated April 2020
Nighttime work will involve bright lights and noisy activities such as cutting, drilling, and moving construction equipment. Concerns about noise may be reported by using the project 24/7 noise hotline (503-294-1326).
Closures and Detours
Visit TripCheck.org for traffic conditions updated 24/7. Visit the weekly construction update for Portland metro area construction information one week in advance.
Replacing the bridges and widening Graham Road will require closures and detours that will impact vehicles and pedestrians. ODOT will work with travelers and adjacent businesses to provide advance notice about detours and maintain business access during construction. All businesses and recreational accesses are expected to be open during construction.
All travelers should watch for flaggers and traffic pattern changes. Detour signs will be posted during roadway closures. ODOT will provide advance notice about closures and impacts to travelers and adjacent businesses through the website (www.i-84troutdale.org) and the interested parties email list. Sign up for alerts on this website or by emailing i-84troutdale@ODOT.state.or.us.
Pedestrians and Bus Users
- Walking access on Graham Road under I-84 may be closed for up to six weekends to allow for the removal and construction of the new bridges and sidewalk. A signed detour for pedestrians will be provided during closures.
- TriMet bus service (lines 77 and 81) may require temporary rerouting during closures. Visit trimet.org/alerts for more information.
Drivers, Bike Riders, and Freight Traffic
Graham Road will require daytime and nighttime single-lane closures between NW Frontage Road (south) and NW Frontage Road (north). Graham Road may be fully closed for up to six full weekends.
Single-lane closures on Graham Road may occur on a daily and nightly basis:
- Week day/night closures from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. (the following day)
- Weekend day/night closures (anytime)
NW Frontage Road (South) will require periodic single- or mulitple-lane closures. At these times travelers will still have access to businesses on the south side of South Frontage Road.
Through-travelers on I-84 have been shifted onto a temporary detour bridge during construction and should experience relatively little disruption. I-84 travelers will experience eastbound and westbound daytime and nighttime single-lane closures with related slowdowns, traffic control devices, and lane shifts at various times during the project. Brief, full closures of I-84 may be needed during demolition of the temporary detour bridge. Speed limits in the work zone will be reduced to 50 mph during construction.
When necessary, expect:
- Periodic single-lane closures on I-84 eastbound and I-84 westbound.
- Full directional and ramp closures from 9 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. on weeknights.
- Full directional and ramp closures from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekends.
See the January 2019 project newsletter for detour maps.
Sign Up for Updates
Updates on road closures and other traffic impacts will be provided by email during construction.
- Sign up for the project mailing list to receive updates about closures and detours.
- Closure and detour information will be posted on this website.
- Traffic impacts and information will be posted on www.tripcheck.org.
Construction began in February 2019 and all work is expected to be complete by the end of 2020.
- Construction Start: February 2019
- Westbound I-84 Bridge Complete: Fall 2019
- Eastbound I-84 Bridge Complete: Summer 2020 (underway)
- Graham Road Improvements Complete: Fall 2020
- All Work Complete: End of 2020