Nighttime work will involve bright lights and noisy activities such as cutting, drilling, and moving construction equipment. Concerns about noise may be reported by using the project 24/7 noise hotline (503-294-1326).
Closures and Detours
Visit TripCheck.org for the most up-to-date closure information.
Replacing the bridges and widening Graham Road will require closures and detours that will impact vehicles and pedestrians. ODOT will work with travelers and adjacent businesses to provide advance notice about detours and maintain business access during construction. All businesses and recreational accesses are expected to be open during construction.
All travelers should watch for flaggers and traffic pattern changes. Detour signs will be posted during roadway closures. ODOT will provide advance notice about closures and impacts to travelers and adjacent businesses through the website (www.i-84troutdale.org) and the interested parties email list. Sign up for alerts on this website or by emailing i-84troutdale@ODOT.state.or.us.
Pedestrians and Bus Users
- Walking access on Graham Road under I-84 may be closed for up to six weekends to allow for the removal and construction of the new bridges and sidewalk. A signed detour for pedestrians will be provided during closures.
- TriMet bus service (lines 77 and 81) may require temporary rerouting during closures. Visit trimet.org/alerts for more information.
Drivers, Bike Riders, and Freight Traffic
Graham Road will require daytime and nighttime single-lane closures between NW Frontage Road (South) and NW Frontage Road (North). Graham Road may be fully closed for up to six full weekends.
Single-lane closures on Graham Road may occur on a daily and nightly basis:
- Week day/night closures from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. (the following day)
- Weekend day/night closures (anytime)
NW Frontage Road (South) will require single-lane daytime and nighttime closures of the north far left lane while Graham Road is closed. At these times travelers will still have access to businesses on the south side of South Frontage Road. There will also be other occasional nighttime single-lane closures on South Frontage Road, not related to Graham Road closures.
- Week night closures from 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- Weekend night closures from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Through-travelers on I-84 will be shifted onto a temporary detour bridge during construction and should experience relatively little disruption. I-84 travelers will experience eastbound and westbound daytime and nighttime single-lane closures with related slowdowns, traffic control devices, and lane shifts at various times during the project. Brief, full closures of I-84 may be needed during construction of the temporary detour bridge. Speed limits in the work zone will be reduced to 50 mph during construction.
When necessary, I-84 lane and ramp closures will last from:
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays (single-lane closures on I-84westbound)
- 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays (periodic single-lane closures on I-84 eastbound)
- 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. on weeknights (lane and ramp closures)
- 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekends (lane and ramp closures)
See the January 2019 project newsletter for detour maps.
Sign Up for Updates
Updates on road closures and other traffic impacts will be provided by email during construction.
- Sign up for the project mailing list to receive updates about closures and detours.
- Closure and detour information will be posted on this website.
- Traffic impacts and information will be posted on www.tripcheck.org.
Construction will begin February 2019 and all work is expected to be complete by winter 2020.
- Construction Start: February 2019
- Westbound I-84 Bridge Complete: Fall 2019
- Eastbound I-84 Bridge Complete: Summer 2020
- Graham Road Improvements Complete: Fall 2020
- All Work Complete: Winter 2020