Addressing safety at I-205 and SE Division Street
This busy East Portland interchange has seen a high number of crashes in recent history. From 2012-2016, there were 241 crashes reported at the intersection of I-205, SE Division Street, and SE 96th Avenue. This put the intersection on the top five percent priority list for statewide safety improvements due to the number and severity of crashes. In 2021, ODOT will construct safety improvements to reduce conflicts between travelers and reduce crashes in this area.
Project safety elements:
- New lane configurations on the I-205 north off-ramp to Division Street will create separate lanes for left turns, straight traffic and right turns to 96th Drive to reduce conflicts. The ramp currently has two right turn lanes and a combination left turn/straight lane.
- Traffic signal upgrades at the intersection of SE Division Street and SE 96th Drive will give left turns their own dedicated signal.
- A new corner shape at the southeast corner where the I-205 north off-ramp meets Division Street and 96th Drive will slow right turning traffic andincrease safety for people crossing the intersection.
- New lane configurations on Division Street westbound will create two dedicated left turn lanes from westbound Division to the on-ramp to I-205 south and one lane for straight traffic on Division to reduce conflicts.
- New curb ramps will improve safety and accessibility for all users in the area, including those with disabilities.
- Buffered bike lanes on Division Street will create space between bicycles and vehicles, reducing conflicts.
TriMet Division Transit Project
TriMet is currently constructing transit improvements along the Division Street corridor connecting Downtown Portland and Gresham. The project includes bus upgrades and improvements to bus stations and traffic signals to reduce bus travel time up to 20 percent in the corridor. New service will begin in 2022. Visit www.trimet.org/division for more project information! Traffic impacts around the I-205 interchange will include bikes merging with travel lane, turning restrictions, lane shifts and closures during construction hours. Eastbound and westbound travel along Division will be maintained. Please slow down and expect delays near the construction zones.
I-205 at SE Division Street
Cost and Funding
The estimated cost to construct this project is $2.7 million.
This project will improve safety for all users, including drivers entering or leaving I-205 at Division Street, people walking or using mobility devices, and people bicycling.