The 125-foot Oneonta Tunnel originally opened in 1914 as part of the Historic Columbia River Highway. In 1948, ODOT redirected traffic around the tunnel and filled it with rubble. In 2009, ODOT restored it for bicycle and pedestrian use as part of the Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail.
The 2017 Eagle Creek Fire badly damaged the Oneonta Tunnel’s wood lining. Now, fire recovery work is needed to safely reopen the Oneonta Tunnel. Work will take place in two phases:
- The first phase of work (February 2020) addressed rockfall concerns on the hillside at and above the tunnel, improving safety.
- The second phase will restore the tunnel and will start in late 2020 and continue through summer 2021.
Oneonta Tunnel along the Historic Highway
Cost and Funding
Emergency Response funds through the Federal Highways Administration.
For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) or Civil Rights Title VI accommodations, translation/interpretation services, or more information call 503-731-4128, TTY 800-735-2900 or Oregon Relay Service 7-1-1.
¿Habla usted español? Podemos proporcionar la información de esta publicación en español, por favor llame al 503-731-4128.