The Oregon State Legislature convenes annually in February in the state capital of Salem. In odd years, sessions may last 160 days, while even years consist of a short session lasting a maximum of 35 days.
ODVA tracks legislation impacting the veteran community and emails a weekly Bill Digest whenever the legislature is in session. If interested, please subscribe with the link in the sidebar.
The 81st Legislative Assembly convened January 11, 2021 for Organizational Days. The Legislative Assembly convened January 19, 2021 for Legislative Session.
Weekly Bill Digests
To receive these by email, subscribe here.
2021 Veteran Committees
Veteran legislation is typically assigned to the House and Senate Committees on Veterans and Emergency Preparedness; budget bills and policy bills with a fiscal impact are handled by the Joint Committee on Ways and Means - Subcommittee on Transportation and Economic Development.
House Committee on Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness
Regular Meeting Schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 PM
Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness
Regular Meeting Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:15 PM
Joint Committee on Ways and Means - Subcommittee on Transportation and Economic Development
Regular Meeting Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays at 8:00 AM
How to Follow and Track Bills
The Oregon Legislature provides a legislative information system, OLIS, which is freely available to all members of the public.
This resource promotes a 360 degree approach to civic engagement by connecting users to live hearings, providing hearing materials, committee information, vote counts, and much more. Bills and committees can be followed via e-Subscribe or RSS. Meeting schedules, votes on bills and newly introduced legislation are posted daily on the homepage. Live video feeds and audio archives are available as well.
Follow and Track Bills on OLIS
- Go to www.oregonlegislature.gov
- Click the “OLIS” icon
- Click the “Bills” icon
- Enter the bill number or topic that you are seeking; click on the bill number
- An overview of the bill will be on the landing page. On this page you can:
- Read the text of a bill and its amendments
- Subscribe to the bill via email or RSS
- See what Chamber and Committee the bill is in
- View meeting materials
- Link to the Committee page
- Read the measure history
- Learn the current status of the bill
- See the next scheduled hearing
Sign Up for Committee Agendas
- Go to www.oregonlegislature.gov
- Click on the eSubscribe icon in the lower blue footer area
- Enter your email address and select the committee you would like to receive agendas from
- Veteran Committee agendas ensure timely notice of all hearings and next actions on veterans’ bills
Other Helpful Tools
In Oregon’s representative form of government, the legislature is integral to the process of proposing, deliberating and setting public policy. In order for this process to work, citizens must be engaged.
The OLIS site offers a multitude of resources available to assist citizens in engaging in the legislative process. Below are some helpful links found on the Citizen Engagement page of the OLIS website (www.oregonlegislature.gov).
For reference assistance, questions about the legislature, legislative process, or government agencies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 503-986-1668.