Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Public Records Request

Request Public Records from ODVA

The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA) responds to requests for public records in the way described in its Public Records Requests policy. The policy outlines the fees the department charges for records, and the process the agency uses to fulfill requests.

Looking for a public record? It may already be online. Try browsing or look for data to download or embed at, Oregon's open data portal.

ODVA does not maintain Birth, Death, or Marriage Certificate vital records. A Public Records Request must be made through the Oregon Health Authority, or a request for Vital Records made through the National Archives to obtain those records.

If a requested discharge record is not in ODVA custody, it may be necessary to order the documents directly from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in Saint Louis, Missouri. 

Submit a records request to the NPRC one of the following ways: 

  • Use Standard Form-180 Request Pertaining to Military Records online at eVetRecs
  • Fax NPRC at (314) 801-9195
  • Mail to:
    National Personnel Records Center
    Military Personnel Records
    1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63138

Ways to Request Public Records

  1. Submit your request using the convenient online submission form below.
  2. Email a written request to: The request must include: 
    • the name and address of the person requesting the public record(s);
    • the telephone number or other contact information for the person requesting the public record(s); and
    • a sufficiently detailed description of the record(s) requested to allow ODVA to search for and identify responsive records.
  3. Email a completed form RM4011 Public Records Request to:
  4. Mail your written request or form RM4011 to:
    • Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs
    • Records Officer
    • 700 Summer Street NE
    • Salem, OR 97301-1285
  5. Fax your written request or form RM4011 to the ODVA Records Officer at (503) 373-2156.

Note: A confirmation of receipt of your request will be sent no matter which submission method you choose.