About Cape Lookout State Park
Cape Lookout is located on a sand spit between Netarts Bay and the Pacific Ocean. This scenic park is a destination for camping, hiking, beachcombing and exploring. the Three Cape Scenic Route.
The location of the park next to the ocean, although stunning, makes protection from coastal erosion problematic. Past winter storms have caused breaches in the protective dune that separates the ocean and campground and flooded the A & B camp loops, causing significant damage to park facilities. These camp loops will be relocated.
The project includes:
- Building a new camping area on higher ground within the park and placing roads, infrastructure, and restroom/shower facilities.
- Removing the current A & B loop facilities and infrastructure before they are destroyed by erosion.
- Upgrading electrical, water and septic systems in remaining loops
Impact on park visitors
None during the 2023 design phase.
- Awarded contract with architectural and engineering consultant.
- Complete preliminary topographical survey
- Conduct analysis of the existing infrastructure.
The current general obligation bond estimate is $6-8 million.
Last updated May 2023. Additional updates as information becomes available.