Skip to main content Homepage


Enforcement and Fines

Boaters who operate a non-motorized boat 10  feet or more in length without aquatic invasive species permit will be fined $30 and motorboats, $50 (in addition to not having valid OR numbers displayed on the motorboat). Prohibits court from imposing additional assessment or surcharge.

SECTION 1. ORS 830.990: Violation of ORS 830.565 by a person operating a manually propelled boat is punishable by a fine of $30, and violation of ORS 830.565 by a person operating a motorboat is punishable by a fine of $50. A court may not impose the unitary assessment provided for in ORS 137.290, the assessment provided for in ORS 137.309, or any other additional assessment or surcharge, for a violation of ORS 830.565.
Mandatory Boat Inspections
All Boaters ARE Required to Stop if Inspection Station is Open
Inspection teams are made up of specially trained personnel employed with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.  ALL boaters are required to stop at designated roadside inspection stations. 

Inspection teams will look inside and outside boats (including kayaks and canoes mounted on vehicle racks) for invasive species.
Any area that is capable of storing water for extended periods of time will be inspected. 

If a motorized boat is deemed "clean," a member of the inspection team will affix a special zip tie around the bow of the boat and the trailer winch. This is proof the boat passed an inspection and is clean for launching.  Once the boat is launched, the zip tie will break away from the winch.  Boaters are asked to pick up the remnants and properly discard them in the trash or plastic recycle container at the launch ramp. 

Inspections take approximately 10 minutes.  If a boat is contaminated with invasive species, the inspection team will decontaminate the craft on-site.  This could take anywhere between 20 minutes to 1 hour. 

Inspectors will also spend time educating the boater about properly cleaning, draining and drying their craft before launching into Oregon waterways.

Inspection stations are set up for the current recreational boating season at the points of entry into Oregon and will also be set up at random locations. Failure to stop at an inspection station could result in a $110 fine.

SECTION 1. ORS 570.855 is amended to read:
570.855 (1) The State Department of Fish and Wildlife, the State Marine Board and the State Department of Agriculture may require a person operating or transporting a recreational or commercial watercraft to stop at a check station for the purpose of inspecting the watercraft for the presence of aquatic invasive species:

[(b)] (2) The Department of Fish and Wildlife, the State Marine Board and the State Department of Agriculture may decontaminate, or recommend decontamination of. any recreational or commercial watercraft that is inspected at a check station operated under authority of this section.

[(2)] (3) All check stations operated under authority of this section must be plainly marked by signs that comply with all state and federal laws and must be staffed by at least one uniformed employee of the State Department of Fish and Wildlife, the State Marine Board or the State Department of Agriculture trained in inspection and decontamination of recreational or commercial watercraft.
Beginning January 1, 2020, the Aquatic Invasive Species Permit required to be carried on boats 10' long and longer will be replaced by a Waterway Access Permit. The permit purchasing will include: 1 week for $5, 1 year for $17, and 2 years for $30. Boaters who purchased two-year tyvek tags that expire December 31, 2020 will be honored. Enforcement for compliance with the permit requirements begins August 1, 2020. Fees will help fund the aquatic invasive species prevention program and a new, waterway access account for non-motorized boating facility grant projects.


Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how