Procurement Training and Certification
|Frequently Asked Questions |
Q. What is the cost of a test?
A: The test costs $150 and is payable to DAS Procurement Services. Payment must be received before the day of the test.
Q. Who can take a test?
A: All public employees within the state of Oregon.
Q. When are the testing dates and times?
A: Tests are scheduled quarterly. Please visit the iLearn website and look under DAS PS for test dates and times.
Q. Where do I take the test?
A: Tests are held in Salem.
Q. What is the structure of the test?
A: Tests typically consist of multiple choice, matching or true/false questions. Candidates are tested on their understanding and application of procurement knowledge. Participants receive one point for a correct answer, zero points for an incorrect answer, and zero points will be given for no answer.
Q. How much time will I have to complete the test?
A: Three hours.
Q. What study materials should I use for the OPBC test?
A: The following:
- Principles of Public Contracting Manual
- Direct Purchasing and Negotiation Handouts
- DAS Procurement Services Elective Class Materials
- State and Local Government Purchasing Practices
- Oregon Revised Statute 244, 279, 190, 291
- Oregon Administrative Rule 137 Divisions 30, 35, 40, and 45
- Oregon Administrative Rule 125 Divisions 246, 247, 248, 249 and 55(QRF)
Q. Where can I find the current Statutes and Rules?
A: Go to the following links to print the current Statutes and Rules:
Q. If I fail the test, is there a waiting period before the test can be taken again?
A: You will have to wait to take the next scheduled exam.
Q. How do I schedule for a re-examination?
A: Fill out registration form for the next scheduled exam date.
Q. When will I receive my test results?
A: You will receive written notification of test results within 15 days after the date of the test. If you do not receive results within this timeframe, contact the DAS Procurement Services training team at (503) 378-4663.
Q. Who do I contact to accommodate people with disabilities?
A: Vicky Narkon at DAS Procurement Services. (503) 378-4663 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Am I certified after taking the test?
A: No. You will need to submit a certification application. You can locate application on the DAS Procurement Services web site.
Q. How can I become certified?
A: Participants wanting to become certified must satisfy the following educational and experiential requirements:
- Must have at least one year of public procurement or contracting experience.
- Must complete Oregon Specific training, Principles of Public Contracting (BA 161), and receive four credits.
- Must complete 35 points of elective training in public purchasing related courses OR have a current Certified Professional Public Buyer, Certified Public Purchasing Officer, Certified Purchasing Manager, or Accredited Purchasing Practitioner certification.
- Must pass the Oregon Basic Certification Test with a passing score of 70 percent or better.
Note: Participants can fulfill these requirements in any order that they would like, each requirement is independent of the others.
See the DAS Procurement Web site for the Training and Certification Plan which outlines the program and all of the requirements.
Q. When will I know if I meet certification requirements?
A: Three weeks after DAS Procurement Training Unit receives your application.
Q. Who do I contact for questions regarding the Oregon Basic Procurement Certification or Basic Certification Test?