Skip to main content

Use Fuel

Use fuel includes diesel, biodiesel, propane, compressed natural gas, B20- used cooking oil and any fuel other than gasoline used to propel a licensed motor vehicle on public roads.

The state tax is 34 cents per gallon, please see our tax rate page to see if jurisdictional taxes apply.

Tax reports and payments must be received no later than the 20th of the following reporting period.

Categories in Use Fuel:

  • Operates a retail gas station supplying Use Fuel, considered retail under ORS 319.250(11 and 13) and 480.310.
  • Operates a cardlock facility, considered non-retail under ORS 319.520(11).
  • Issues cardlock cards used in the State of Oregon, considered non-retail.
  • Issues fleet cards used at cardlock facilities in Oregon.
  • Provides fleet fueling.
  • Collects Use Fuel tax on bulk fuel deliveries.​
  • ​Any person who receives Use Fuel into a canister on a vehicle used to propel vehicles on the highways of Oregon.
  • Manufacturing biofuels for use in your vehicles.
  • Placing waste vegetable oil directly into the fuel receptacle of a motor vehicle.
  • Operating vehicles over 26,000 pounds that are other wise exempt from paying weight-mile tax- farm vehicles, charitable organizations, etc.
  • Local government vehicles- cities, counties, state agencies, special districts, etc.
  • Vehicles for public schools or education service districts under certain conditions.
  • Any person who sells bulk Use Fuel to a user and is not qualified as a Seller as defined by ORS 319.520 (9). ​


Use Fuel Tax Programs

The Fuels Tax Group governs use fuel tax programs for the following:


We issue emblems for users to purchase fuel from a cardlock or retail station without paying state tax. If there is tax liability you are still liable for fuel used on Oregon roads and highways.

Emblems are issued through the online filing site. We offer a template for easy upload as well as tutorials on how to apply or renew your emblems. Please see our online page for templates.

Exemption Certificates 

Exemption certificates are for non-retail cardlock sellers only. It is a form that your customer may fill out taking full liability for ex-tax sales. You will need to keep the original copy and provide it to claim ex-tax sales on your report. Any transactions unable to be verified as exempt could be subject fees.

  Exemption Certificates

 Oregon School Districts and Government Entities

ORS 319.831 and ORS 319.831(h) provides refunds of use fuel tax on fuel used in the transportation of students by public schools, qualifying government municipalities or education service districts of this state.

E-plated vehicles may purchase diesel at the pump without tax included. Any vehicles not E-plated must have an emblem issued by the Fuels Tax Group to purchase diesel without the tax.

A use fuel user license is required. Usage report must be filed with the Fuels Tax Group for qualifying entities.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how